Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardmartyr

seeking tall red perennial

yardmartyr
16 years ago

Okay, I'm trying to balance out a particular zone in my garden. What I'm looking for is a long-blooming ( june-oct? june-aug?), red perennial flower that gets about 3 feet tall. And as long as I'm wishing, how about also low maintenance? These will be in front of a clematis (Etoile Violette) and behind some geraniums (Rozanne). My research so far hasn't turned up anything too promising, so I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• yardmartyr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops! I forgot to mention, the site gets full sun.

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

How about Monarda, 'Jacob Cline'? Another plant that I just discovered are Penstemons. I bought some last year from Bluestone Perennials and they just started to bloom this year. I bought Penstemon, 'Iron Maiden'. Very cool plant. The flowers are not red, but orange-red. The plant is around 3 ft tall. I've never grown Penstemon, and I was really impressed.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

There's a beautiful red flower called Red Cardinal..sorry don't know anything more about it, except it's gorgeous..those I've seen grow about 4'..I don't know if they're bulbs or not...I do know they are perrenials,,,Toni

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Lots of beautiful red lilies out there. Some hardy hibiscus too. i like grasses, so would opt for flame grass (miscanthus purpurescens).

• katielovesdogs
    16 years ago

sumatra oriental lilies

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

This may be a little late...but I'd also go with hardy Hibiscus. Rose Mallow is the plant that gives you the large dinner plate blooms.

• motria
    16 years ago

Hi! I would echo the monarda suggestion. I don't think cardinal flower is a good bet, though - I've had a couple varieties of lobelia croak in full sun.

If you can handle something a bit taller, how about ironweed (vernonia)? It's not a true red.. more of a fuschia. It blooms late summer/fall (July - Sept.). It's a low-maintenance native prairie plant.

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Well all of the above plants are red but none of them will bloom from June thru October. Most Perennials have only a bloom time of a few weeks. Some of the above will bloom early in the season and some later. The only thing I can think of that will bloom almost the whole summer in a really true red color and will get about 4 feet tall and is really easy care is a "Home Run" rose!!! It is one of the series of roses that are impervious to disease and is a real bloom machine and does bloom it's heart out all summer! You might want to think about it even though you weren't really thinking about a rose!!!

• meeperx
    16 years ago

Here are some ideas:

Native Cardinal Flower
    Royal Catchfly
    Helen's Flower - 'Helena Red'
    Burgandy Gallardia
    Hardy Hibiscus 'Lord Baltimore'
    Hollyhocks
    Red Lily - 'Monte Negro'
    Lobelia 'Bees-Flame'
    Knautia macedonica
    Carnation 'Desmond'
    Monarda 'Jacob Cline'
    Coreopsis 'Sweet Dreams" and 'Limerock Ruby'

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Hibiscus moscheutos's bloom time is summer through fall...

• woost2
    16 years ago

I picked up some Ipomopsis Rubra -- Standing Cypress -- seeds at a perennial plant club meeting in Madison, WI. I haven't planted them, but Google tells me they are tall and red! And despite the name, they apparently grow in Wisconsin.

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

i'd go with a rose (probably floribunda instead of tea) - roses and clematis are suppose to work really well together (i just planted my first "pair" this spring so i can't tell you first hand yet, but they are doing well so far) - you'd get the guaranteed red, can shop around a little bit for the height you want (and exact shade of red), and constant blooms

• lee53011
    16 years ago

If you go to the seed exchange, try to find some Yvonne's Salvia. It is red and about 3 feet tall, an annual, but it reseeds enough to be a perennial. Blooms from about June until frost. May even exceed 3 feet depending on your soil! Not available anywhere else but here at the seed exchange. Available for postage because the elder lady who found? or propagated it wanted it to spread everywhere. Not sure if she is still alive, she was quite old. But it is usually readily available here.

Lee

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022