Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bark falling off my green ash

Posted by jena912 Z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 10:39

I have bark falling off my green ash but I DON'T suspect borers. I haven't found any signs of holes and there has been no other indication of borer action (no branch die back at the crown). There is, however, a colony of black ants that has taken up residence in the mulch below the tree. Also, we just went through a hot spell lasting about 9 days without any rain. I've been watering them every other day or so for the last couple days. Its twin across the yard is experiencing some yellowing of leaves at the top. These trees are fairly young (6-7 yrs old) and have been established in our yard for about 2 years now. Please tell me its just lack of rain and I'm not going to loose these trees!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bark falling off my green ash

I don't have any idea what might be wrong with your trees, although I do wonder if you're watering too much. Watering an established tree every couple of days, even during a drought, seems excessive... a once-a-week, deep soaking would be better for them than more frequent ones. I don't know if that's what's causing the bark to fall off or not.

Emerald ash borer is a huge problem in some areas -- I know you don't suspect borers, but you might want to take a look at this article (link below; scroll to bottom for information on symptoms) and then look closely at your trees, just to make sure.

Another source for help is your local cooperative extension service, and/or master gardener program. Copy and paste this link to find out locations, etc:

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/state/

Some states have a pest and disease diagnostic lab as part of their extension service -- great place to get help.

I hope your trees are ok -- good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: emerald ash borer

o
RE: Bark falling off my green ash

• Posted by sissyz Z5 NorthIL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 17:50

Jena-I wonder if you ever diagnosed the problem?? My new green ash is losing bark, as well, and I don't have any of the borer symptoms, either!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here