Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They're Baaaaaacckkkkkk ! ! ! JB's

Posted by mikeinmo Z6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 11:00

The japanese beetles are back in full force her in mid MO. I have been checking the crepe myrtles every day for them. One day, none, next day TONS ! ! I hate using the powder Sevin, but was the only thing that worked last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They're Baaaaaacckkkkkk ! ! ! JB's

I hand pick them into a jar of soapy water. Sometimes I can scoop several in at once. A few will escape by flying, but you usually get a second chance at them later. I try to avoid getting those with a white parasite egg on their back. The JB in the picture has been plastered with seven eggs, but one or possibly two eggs is more likely. Three eggs are rare. If you spare them, those JBs can serve as a "nursery" for more parasitic flies.

ZM

o

• Posted by phyl345 chicagoland z5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 16:26

they haven't shown up here yet ~~ i have tried 7 dust in the past, but didn't think it did much ~~ do you put it on your plants AND the ground? ~

do you feel it kills earwigs? ~ i have approximately 2 million, seven hundred thousand of them! so far i have planted 33 zinnia plants & about the same number of petunia plants & all but two TWO! have been skeletonized down to nothing & are all dead ~ sigh !

phyl

p.s. on the above skeletonizing; i *know* it isn't slugs cuz it is very dry there & a slug wouldn't be caught dead in such a dry place (grin)

o

They're here just north of Champaign as well...

o

Try liquid Seven. You have to reapply after it rains, but it has gotten rid of all of my beetles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here