Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alleycallie_gw

Lavendar for zone 5 limey soil

alleycallie
16 years ago

Hello! I am new to this site and am hoping for some suggestions for hardy lavendar for my particular area.

I live in rual North Central Kansas and the land in our area is heavy with limestone. Over the past 7 years or so of gardening, I have come up with plants that work here. I would like to plant lavendar on a slope, and recently bought 3 "Munstead" lavendar plants. I did remember reading that "Provence" won't work here. The slope is rocky and frequently gets loose gravel thrown up when the winter street plows go by--so definitely the soil is not too rich for lavendar!

One cousin with money to burn and who has incredible professionally cared for gardens recently told me that he had found only one kind of lavendar that will grow here and overwinter, but he no longer knew the name of it.

He said that the labels will say hardy, but none but this one kind were. Another cousin, a fabulous gardener, said she had given up on lavendar here because it wouldn't overwinter.

We are on the absolute border between zone 5/6 in Kansas, and as mentioned earlier, have limestone-ridden soil.

Any ideas from either other Kansans who know "Post Rock Country" soil, or live in zones 5/6 and have experience with high ph soil?

Thanks!

Comments (3)