Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perenialls that will survive the winter?

Posted by blakeas 6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 13:31

Moved to Cleveland, Oh about a year and a half ago and wanted to know which perenialls will survive the winter up here? We came from Georgia and lantana did so well down there and came back every year - However, I don't think lantana could survive up here. suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perenialls that will survive the winter?

Hi blakeas, No, Lantana will not survive Ohio winters. I am a recent transplant to the Midwest myself and understand your dilemma. May I suggest you try some Ohio native plants. Believe me you won't regret it. Here is a list for Ohio, while not complete, it is a start. It includes, trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants.
https://www.wildflower.org/collections/printable.php?collection=OH

Whatever you do, be sure to plant at least one milkweed for the Monarchs and other butterflies. There is only one milkweed on this list, Asclepias tuberosa or butterflyweed (not Butterfly Bush), but I am sure there are more that will do fine there.

Happy Gardening!

o

Blakeas,

Here in south/central Indiana, we grow a lot of daylilies. Ohio is considered the northern headquarters for state-of-the-art modern hybrids. You might check out the Plant Exchange forum if you have some things to trade, or try lilyauction.com, especially early in the spring. The nearest major daylily grower near you would probably be Curt Hanson, in Gates Mills, Ohio 44040. Daylilies are at peak bloom right now, so it would be a great time for a visit. Modern daylilies come in many colors, heights, and shapes, and most rebloom if they are watered during the summer. I would not advise a trip to your local nursery for daylilies. These are often common, older varieties, and don't rebloom well unless you want the variety Stella De Oro, which is badly overplanted.

Many daylily growers also grow hostas. The daylilies go in the sun and the hostas grow in the shade and there are lots of leaf shapes and colors available, too. Iris would be another possibility for reliable bloom, earlier than daylilies. Peonies are good in the north, also. None of these plants take special care and all are winter hardy. Good luck! Bob

o

I did take a Lantana inside last year before the first frost and kept in a pot until the following year (this year) and then put it outside when it warmed up!! Maybe this is a idea to save a start for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete list of anuals that will survive in the Midwest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here