Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Hide an A/C Unit with Plants...in Shade?

Posted by akchicago z5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 13:39

I have tried unsuccessfully to camoflage my A/C unit that is in my back yard. I've tried four Yews, of different Yew varieties, and all died. First, the area is in full shade, which is probably great for the A/C unit itself. Second there is a tree a few feet away from the unit, providing the aforementioned shade, but also hogging the water from any plant that would attempt to grow there. Third, the A/C unit blows warm air out while it is running; I spaced the Yews a couple of feet away from the A/C, but they still got blown upon. Do any of you have plants that have camoflaged your A/C units, or should I just give up on the idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Hide an A/C Unit with Plants...in Shade?

I have some ivy & wildflowers growing near mine that help, but not 100% camo.

what about a containerized plant, or conifer?

o

I hid mine a few years ago with a piece of white wooden fencing. I attached an "isolated" bed (large narrow window box) at the bottom, sunk the box in the ground, and used it for a small annuals bed.... the fence hid the unit and morning glory hid most of the fence. :)

o

What's your budget?
I found an old wine case, removed the top shelves, installed a yardsale armillary on the top remaining shelf, and planted shade tolerant clematis and goldflame honeysuckleon on the outsideof it. Then, to the side, at an angle, added two flat trellises, with goldflame honeysuckle between them. Underneath, I set 'Rozanne' perennial geraniums, spring blooming bulbs, columbines, and geranium macrorhizum, 'Biokova', 'waterfall' campanula, mukdenia, and isotoma.

How deeply shaded is it? No matter what the site limitations are, you still have a large number of options.

o

• Posted by doniki z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 10:31

I have almost the exact same problem here... Mine is under a mature hemlock that I've limbed up a little and I've tried many different things, but so far I've had good luck with a clumping bamboo of all things... Fargesia nitida has done very well in the shade, though I do supplement water during the summer... Also I have to second the Ivy thing.. It too has done very well growing up a trellis on the opposite side of the A/C...

o

Our last house had 3 or 4 burning bushes planted around the a/c unit, out about 2ft and it hid it great! I'm sure they were there awhile, it may take some time to grow in, but it worked.

o

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' will bloom in full shade....just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here