Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green & gold: chrysogonum virginianum

Posted by Mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 14:15

Has anyone had success growing this ground cover in Wisconsin...I'm in the Appleton area. A True Value store has this and I'd like to get some, but I've never seen it growing anywhere here and I know that the woman who orders for this store sometimes doesn't get things that are quite hardy enough here. I think this may be hardy to zone 5 but not 4. I want something that's going to come back for sure, so I'd love to hear from others if they've had good luck with this in zone 4..or even 3!
The tag says it will do well in full sun to shade...any thoughts on that?
By the way, I know there are some specific cultivars of this, but my tag does not indicate anything beyond what I wrote in the subject of the posting.
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green & gold: chrysogonum virginianum

I grow it in Chicago area - it is knocked back after a hard winter, but we don't seem to be getting many of these anymore.

Plant it if you believe in global warming.

o

LOL, global warming has not been on my side so far. It seems that whenever I try to push a zone with a plant, I lose. Others are successful, but maybe I just don't understand my own garden's microclimates. Since it knocks back hard for you, I don't think I'll plant it. I'll have to search for something else unless someone up here has had years of success with it. Thank you!

o

dont feel too bad. i had the species 5 or 6 yrs ago and also the Allan Bush cultivar just last year...neither made it thru their first winter in my zone 6 gardens.
awfully cute little thing though. < sighs >

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

o

If you're just looking for green & gold, well, we're Packer fans living in Bear country; but we have a groundcover sedum that's a pretty green with a little gold flower. It's blooming right now and has been very hard working in the three years we had it. And we got it from McKay's, in Wisconsin. They came down here and installed our whole landscape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here