Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Good-bye roses, welcome...?

marcindy
17 years ago

Hi y'all, well after seven years of caring spraying, fighting beetles and other stuff I finally had it. I will shovel prune the bunch and make room for some low maintenance long blooming perennials. I also started having bees last year, so anything that meets the above criteria and is bee friendly would be a plus. Right now I am more interested in summer and fall blooming perennials and shrub/perennial combinations.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance. Oh, btw, I live just north of Indianapolis in Carmel.

Marc

Comments (7)

• Oswegian
    17 years ago

Bees love our catmint bed, and the mint blooms for three seasons. People stop by to ask what it is, they like the purplish blue flowers enough.

We have it in a contained bed next to our patio, and I love watching a "waterless" fish bowl every evening. The bees float around the catmint, but have never bothered us.

Oh, P.S. Butterflies like it, too.

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

The lowest maintenance and longest blooming plants in my beds are potentilla and Stella Dora Daylilly.
    The Daylilly may take a little work to keep grass out of it every few years. Weigella is another one that is low maintenance and blooms twice a year.
    How about tall grass? My favorite is variegated miscanthus. Beautiful striped leaf thru summer, then nice plumes in the fall and into winter.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

I am very close to this act myself. I will see how bad the beetles are this year. Last year I just basically cut off every bloom as soon as it came out to prevent the beetles from coming around at all.
    For ease of care and drought resistant my good ones are coneflowers, daylilies (there are so many you could really start a huge collection of these.
    Dianthus and cheddar pinks. Sedums. Catmint - bees and butterflies love that. Herbs. Chrysanthemums for fall. Asters.
    Good luck!

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

We have the same problem with those darn beetles! Luckily, our yard has other plants that they aren't too fond of and that do really well. Here's a good list of options:

Daylilies
    Salvia
    Yarrow
    Mums
    Asters
    Monarda
    Catmint
    Liatris
    Purple Coneflower
    Shasta Daisy
    Sedum
    Geraniums
    Helianthus
    Grasses
    Phlox
    Boltonia
    Solidago
    Veronica
    Scabiosa
    Coreopsis
    Lambs ear

The combinations are unlimited!

• Jen26
    17 years ago

Salvia May Night gets my vote. Bees love it, it's so easy, and very pretty.

• Oswegian
    17 years ago

I can warn you off something they like even more than roses -- rose of sharon. Good lord, they rip my poor ROS to shreds every year. ROS are tough, and it doesn't seem to effect the plant itself. It grows a lot every year and has plenty of leaves. But it looks just beseiged, I can tell you. Those little puss buckets. I really hate them. They also think Lindens are tasty. Bastiges.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

They also like those giant hibiscus and anything in the polygonum (knotweed) family. Although a tip, the jbeetles don't bother the roses I have that are low growing and have no scent, i.e. floribundas - trumpeter and valentine. Note these are also red colored, yellow and white and light pink are their favorite colors to attract to. This may help you.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus