Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmemer

Morning Glory--problematic??

nmemer
18 years ago

Hi,

Also posted this on vine forum. Growing some "heavenly blue" morning glories, marked "half-hardy annual" on packet, from seed. Have three vines about 1 foot high on side of house. Boyfriend (they are planted at his house) very concerned that they will be invasive and be impossible to get rid of. I love the flowers, but am considering pulling them now to prevent a big problem. Any experiences w/ these in Milwaukee area? Will they come back next year? Will they spread? Are they tough to get rid of? Thank you!

Comments (7)

• julia_123
    18 years ago

I believe that I have the same type of morning glory. I guess it depends on your idea of "invasive." Do they re-seed like crazy? YES. But to me, that's good! :) They didn't spread much further than where they were last year but they were much thicker. To "contain" them (they're by a fence but I don't know if the neighbors would want them on their side), I put 3 huge stakes in the ground, pretty far apart, and just put wire along the top. Then I tied strings to the wire and ran the strings to the ground - tied a nail to the end of the string and stuck it in the ground. Easy and cheap, and the morning glories are growing on it nicely and leaving the fence alone. :)

• nmemer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah. He's not going to like the re-seeding part at all! Someone on vines thought this variety was a sterile hybrid and therefore can't reseed itself. Anyone else heard of that? Thanks.

• Janine Starykowicz
    18 years ago

The wild ones reseed like crazy. I've had very few of the named varieties even sprout. But even with the wild type, the sprouts are very easy to pull. All the vines will die with the frost, what you'll see next year are seedlings. Snip the seeds and/or pull down the dried vines and you'll cut down on the seedlings next year.

• nmemer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I think I'll let it grow this year, and then work on pulling seedlings next spring if they start coming up like crazy.

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

julia123, thanks for that great idea for keeping them off the neighbor's fence and for easy removal. I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever grow them.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Heavenly Blue morning glories are not often heavy reseeders because most of them do not bloom heavily until late in the season. Last year I finally got one to bloom in July!!! It has produced a few volunteers. This is the first time I have ever had any volunteers from Heavenly blue after any years of growing it. Yes, the little wild ones are very invasive and really shouldn't be raised probably as they can spread to fencerows and farm fields badly.

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

I also don't have a problem with 'Heavenly Blue' reseeding. Most years that I grow it I don't get any seedlings from it.

Now other varieties....that's a different story. :-)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES