Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need landscaping ideas-shrubs for mostly shade

Posted by casmith_ep Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 17:13

I am a gardener, but vegetables and perennials are my thing. I know little about shrubs (or landscape design)-- and should probably hire a profssional to help me with the front of my house. But I'm seeking some ideas first in the hope I can do it myself.

I have purple gem rhododendrons in the front border right now and those are OK. But the shady, five-foot wide by 10-foot long border under the bay window is currently empty (contains some random shrubs in this old photo). I would like to do one vertical shrub near the front door and two or three shorter roundish shrubs of contrasting foliage colors and sizes (preferably non-flowering) to the left of it. Does anyone have any tried and true combinations that could work in this spot?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map link to street view of my house (don't tell the deer where I live)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
P.S. I'm in zone 4, not zone 5

And thanks for any thoughts you can provide!

o
RE: Need landscaping ideas-shrubs for mostly shade

Do you like hydrangeas? They are of course deciduous but I adore my Annabelle and Oakleafs that live behind my deck which is mostly shade. Here's a pic from a week or so ago - they just get better as the season progresses. Of course they do flower...

Photobucket

o

Your hydrangeas are beautiful! And I do like them in general. I just feel like everything in my yard flowers right now, and it seems little busy. Thanks so much for sharing the photo and idea. I may end up with hydrangeas after all...

o

Japanese maples are another thought - I have them up further on the deck more as speciments but they have grown into rather wonderful mounds and they do not flower but have lovely foliage color. I wonder how a few of them would do if planted next to each other and kept pruned nicely. I noticed they had really wonderful maples up at our local Ace hardware of all places the other day for very reasonable prices in the $40 range per plant and they were very nice ones. Those maples grow on this side of the house further up the deck. The green one is really too large, but the deep burgandy has stayed quite contained and has been in place 20 years.

Photobucket

Mine sit as three specimens...

Photobucket

o

I love this! I'm definitely going to look into it.

You have a fantastic yard, by the way. Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here