Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird egg yolk like stuff

Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 18:43

Ok, this one has me stumped. Both Sat night during the night and then again today during the day a weird substance has appeared in 1 of my gardens. On both occasions, it has looked like someone sprinkled crumbled up egg yolks from about 10 hard boiled eggs into the garden. In this garden are primarily hostas and the remaining leaves from daffodils. There's another garden about 3 ft away that has quite a few blooming lilies. This stuff is as bright a yellow as real eggs, it looks crumbly like real eggs and it's scattered in an area that's about 6"x10". At first I thought it might be pollen from the lilies but there's just too much of it. It doesn't look like someone/something tossed their cookies as it's dry. Sat's pile was just the same but with some light rain and a kid playing with a stick in it, it's turned brown now. I know that we have rabbits and squirrels in our nieghborhood. Anyone have any idea what this might be or what could have dropped this stuff? I'm at a loss with this one but I know I don't like it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird egg yolk like stuff

Hi,
I am pretty sure what you have is something called "dog vomit fungus". Try to google it and you will find loads of info and pix. It is supposedly a harmless mold. I had it for the first time a few weeks ago, in several spots over several nights, and it has not harmed the plants it was covering. It grows in wood mulch. Since it is rather disgusting to look at, I clean it up, but it will go away on it's own.

Elisabeth.

o

We get it on our mulch every year during wet times -- or when we have to water, like from the drought. I am lazy, so I don't clean it up, and it just runs its course and disappears till next time, I guess. We have some spots now. Love that name, LOL. Dog Vomit.

o

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 21:44

Thanks to you both. It's progressed to having a brownish crush on top, and the earth is getting drier. I love that name too and it is a perfect name for the fungus. Pictures on websites that I checked have it exactly like it looks in my garden. To me, it's still weird, though, because I would not have expected something like this in a city yard. I learn something new about gardening every day!

o

I just saw this at a park here in St. Charles on the mulch - it does look like something a dog hurled... gross...

o

i will guarantee you it is dog vomit fungus! very, very common in mulched areas. it has nothing to do with defective muclh, is NOT a health hazard, and should not be removed unless you get it immediately. never attempt to move it omce it starts to crust, as it will look like a atom bomd went off, releasing zillions of spores!!
don't worry, that spot will be gone soon, with new spots possibly surfacing!

o

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 23:01

Through my quest to find out about this stuff, I was also told it's called slime mold. The spots have gone fairly quickly - few days - and, yes, new spots do occur. In my very limited experience, the new spots have shown up right after heavy watering or rain. This stuff if flat out ugly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here