Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Kansas from Texas...

Posted by nikkitx 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 20:06

Hi all. I've been on these forums for a couple of years now. Mostly on Texas Gardening. That's where I moved to Kansas from. I got up here about 4 weeks ago and realized I know NOTHING about this zone! LOL I'm reading up a bit but most of my gardening books are still in storage. I just really wanted to say hi to everyone here. I had a blank slate to work with, have gotten a few things in, mostly hostas and impatiens. Noticed that gardens around here don't have many the same plants as we use down south. Although I do recognize some old favorites. Certainly rains more here. That's a nice change. Not as hot either, that's a VERY nice change!

Happy Gardening!
Nikki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Kansas from Texas...

Welcome to the Midwest! I have come to love it here after a decade or so of living in Chicagoland.

We moved here from Tucson, AZ, so we are kinda "reverse snowbirds." There is a lot of info in Arizona for gardening snowbirds, but not so much the reverse here. 75% of the people who live here were born here, and they just anticipate everybody will be familiar with it.

I got some interesting books to help, though. Midwest university press books are good. Check your local Kansas schools. One book I could suggest is "Flower Gardening in the Hot Midwest," by Linda Hillegass. It's a U of Illinois press book, but IIRC, she gardens in Kansas or Iowa.

I'll include the Amazon link below, where the book excerpt sums up the climate well. See if it applies to your zone. One of the most remarkable things about Midwest weather is that you get four honest-to-goodness different seasons, all about three full months long.

In the winter it's freezing, and in the summer it's freakin HOT. (USDA zones talk about cold hardiness, not summer heat.) Spring and Fall are gorgeous! Believe me, I have the utmost respect for the flora and fauna here who can take such extremes. They are the greatest.

Have fun learning about your new home. I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Gardening in the Hot Midwest

o

Hello and welcome to Kansas! As an old farm gal who was raised in Kansas, maybe I can help you! If there are any plants you have questions about please feel free to e-mail me. One thing to keep in mind...It's hot and dry here most of the summer and unless you want to water OFTEN, you might want to plant with this in mind. I'd love to share photo's of my gardens and tips with you! Sher

o

Hi Nikki,
Welcome to KS. What end of the state do you live in?
I am in the NW corner by NE. Cold winters and hot summers.
What kind of yard will you be planting in? Mostly sun, or
shade?
I plant everything I know I cannot kill! Daisy, Blackeyed
susan, daylilies. And then lots of annuals.
Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here