Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echinecia and coreopsis diseased?

Posted by sandif Z6/Southwest IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 20:16

Several of my purple coneflower and coreopsis seem to have a disease or something.

I started noticing a coneflower looking droopy, as if it need watering...so I watered. The leaves continued looking droopy and wilted no matter how much water I pour on it. This started with one stalk then progressed to most of the stalks until the leaves and stalks are now have a blackish tarrish look. I eventually had to cut the bad stalks down, but I noticed the good stalks just came right out of the soil with a gentle tug. Right now couple other coneflowers are looking the same but several others are nice and lush and filled with lovely blooms.

I also noticed one of my coreopsis having a wilty look. I just now gave one of the bad stalks a gentle tug and the entire plant lifted out of the soil!

Anyone has insight into what is happening to these plants? I'm worried about a soil disease, as I don't see any signs of bugs or mealy worms. These are planted in full sun and I water often to keep my garden beds looking lively...except for these that are dying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echinecia and coreopsis diseased?

Can't tell for sure but it's possible you're overwatering -- you say you water often -- how dry is the soil when you water? Both echinacea and coreposis are not going to like wet feet. The soil may have stayed damp too long and caused root rot, which will cause the plant to wilt (because the roots can't take up water any more). The plants will often turn mushy and black and pull up easily. Additional water at that point won't help. It might be good to take a look at the soil, determine the type of soil and how well-drained it is, and see how dry it gets between your normal waterings. Weekly deep soakings are better for your plants than more frequent ones.

There may be other problems at work but that seems the most likely suspect. They're both tough, vigorous plants that do well even with some degree of neglect so disease problems aren't as likely.

My first guess is that if you cut back on the water you might solve your problem, but others may have other insights.

Good luck!

o

• Posted by sandif Z6/Southwest IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 22:38

carol ann, you are absolutely correct. I have been over watering my plants like crazy! I spoke to a master gardener today and she told me the very same thing. I did test the soil and it is so moist. I kept thinking watering it every other day would be good but I was doing most of the plants more damage than good. I do have good drainage but with the heavy mulching that I do and the heavy twice a day water it was too much for the Echinacea, Coreopsis and the Shasta Daisies. I still plan on doing a test of the soil to be a 101% assured but for now, all fingers point to over watering. Thank you for the response.

o

You're welcome -- glad you figured out the problem, and good luck with your flowers! I'm betting now that you have the watering figured out, your flowers will flourish. Enjoy, and happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here