Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Anyone having a good weather summer?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
18 years ago

After last summers record cold temps I'm so happy the heat has been turned on again. To top it off, regular rainfall almost every week. I haven't even watered the garden yet this year except for some potted things.

Back to normal where you live?

Comments (13)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Please chek out this link. :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: What good weather?

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

We've had our 4th driest Spring. And we could still use a good amount of rain, but the temps are a lot warmer than last year. As far as I'm concerned, I liked last summer. Hardly had the air on, saved lots of money on that, plus we had enough rain where we didn't have to water our lawn. But then again my tomato plants didn't produce fruit well at all. Most of the annuals didn't get as big as in the hot summers. So I guess I would rather have the hot weather, but I would like more rain though.

Kat

• Chitown33
    18 years ago

A good dozen or so 90's this month, even a 100, and dry dry dry. This is a repeat of '88 it seems. I like it though, the heat is great for the tropicals, I just wish it would rain.

Chitown

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I agree w/you, Chitown..100 degrees doesn't bother me at all, and my tropicals, especially citrus are growing like crazy. But I agree, we DO need rain, badly..Watering doesn't make a dent in my gardens, and since i've got about 75 tropcials growing in pots outside, they need to be watered more often than usual..Toni

• jan44
    18 years ago

Very dry and hot here. I don't like it a bit. Makes gardening very frustrating. Can't wait until fall.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, since I posted that things have gone the other direction. It's been blazing hot and no rain for a few weeks now. I really hate it.

Kevin

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

It's best to enjoy the heat while we can cause winter creeps up so fast, too fast. A season I detest. I agree we can use rain, but I love this heat..I love the sun, tanning while I garden..oh it's heaven to me..Toni

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

It seems that many are having dry weather. Dennis brought much needed rain here. It has been tropical with rain and mists nearly dailily and continuing. Things are growing like a jungle too.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Wayne, yes it's very dry here in IL..I wish Dennis would bring a storm here, too..lol..Even after hosing plants, it doesn't make a dent in the soil..Today I hand-watered many plants which took several trips carrying a 5gallon container..up and down stairs..
    I've a good number of houseplants outside, so they were all watered..and very dry..
    I'm hoping for a nice, cozy thunderstorm..Toni

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

We are not having cozy thunderstorms here-a huge maple tree in our neighborhood got blown over last night. It just cracked off just above the ground. We've had several big rains so I hope we are catching up here. My tomatoes looked great yeaterday-hope last nights wind did not get them!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The rains have returned by the buckets. Everything about this summer is extreme: at first all the rain, then the heat, then no rain, now tons of rain. I can't remember just an average, nice rainfall. We keep on having these huge storms. Very, very strange summer.

Kevin

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I wore what I thought was appropriate attire yesterday-shorts, t-shirt and sandels and I froze. You can't help but wonder about what is going on with the weather. We had a 20 minute episode of violent wind that blew down big trees. I was asleep and my Mom called scared as heck. By the time I got up to check it out, everything was quiet. I thought my Mom was nuts until I saw a giant maple snapped off at ground level.

• tinamcg
    18 years ago

I for one will not be complaining about winter this year. I welcomed the snow last year, too. The northwest suburbs of Chicago are hell on earth right now. This morning my husband called me from the parking lot of a golf course in the south suburbs, to report it was raining. He thought he was being supportive. I reminded him that the winds were blowing from the west and all those rains would bypass us. We haven't had a decent rain since July 3rd, and even that wasn't a good soaking rain.

I can't tell you how much I hate this season. I just want it to be over. This weekend I'm going to pull out most of the annuals and begin cutting back some very sad coneflowers and rudbeckias. I've already cut back the shastas.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery