Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fionasol

desperately seeking cheap rock in Indiana

fionasol
17 years ago

So, there used to be a magical time in IN, when you could drive into one of the many quarries in central /southern IN & get to load your trunk up with scraps of limestone for super cheap! Sadly, our litigious society has killed the kindness of the quarries & now I may have to pay exorbitant prices to edge the new pond that I'm installing. SIGH! Any Hoosiers out there who still know of quarries that let you pick up scrap stone? Or any other fabulous ideas for finding inexpensive stone? It's a pretty small Pond, & I am so NOT picky about what kind of stone it is.

Comments (12)

• username_5
    17 years ago

May or may not help you, but I generally get all my rocks from new construction areas. The earth movers uncover lots.

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

Like the previous poster, I'm not sure if this will help you. I used to live right on the edge of White and Tippecanoe Counties (west central IN), surrounded by fields. Every spring the farmers would have to pick field stones out of thier fields so their equipment wouldn't get chipped by the rocks. Most of them just had a spot at the corner of a field where they would dump them, or sometimes they piled them near their barnlot. If you have friends out in the country or live near the country yourself, drive around and look for piles of fieldstone. I know the couple of times I asked farmers for them they were MORE than happpy for me to take them.

• eks6426
    17 years ago

Have you tried companies that make counter tops? I just did a huge granite patio entirely from scrap material from a counter top company. It was free. They had marble and some other stones as well. I'm in northern Indiana.

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

i get my stone from Garrity's at about 3500 N. Ritter Ave. on the east side.
    i had my limestone and gravel for my pond delivered for less than $100, about 5 years ago.
    i also used to go to the Stone Center, off Allisonville Rd. we would get the van weighed, and drive back to the river rock. i would take about 5 kids and we would hand pick the rocks we liked. we then would have the van weighed again to get the price per pound. the kids loved it, we got the exact stones we wanted and didn't have to pay delivery charges.

• katielovesdogs
    17 years ago

I live in Irvington (eastside Indy) and I have limestone landscaping rock on the side of my house that you can dig out and have if you want it. I was planning on getting rid of it anyway.

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Woohoo. Katie, you rock! Emailing you directly to set up a time.

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

katielovesdogs, i'm from irvington too! do you go to the garden club meetings?

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Katie,
    I'm not sure if the GardenWeb email form is letting me actually email you. Can you drop me an email directly at fsolkowski@tnc.org? Thanks!

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all for the great suggestions. With some old cement pavers I had left over from another project, and the some slate & rocks that Katielovesdogs was kind enough to give me...I've temporarily edged the pond, until I find or buy more of the rocks that I want.

The link below shows a pic of the new divine lounging area around the pond. :) Momcat, you should come visit the yard again...there's been a lot of change since you visited 2 or 3 years ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Divine Lounging Room

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

did i hear "party at fiona's house"?......margie

• ademink
    17 years ago

Hey girl! Your yard is looking GREAT! :) I have some small limestone flat rocks for free if you are still looking for some. Email me directly and let me know, ok?

Andrea
    andrea@perennialobsession.com

• ademink
    17 years ago

Forgot, I also have hand made concrete small pavers that can be used for a path, stepping stones, whatever. I didn't make them...they were here w/ the house but they might work for something...? They are diamond shaped and can be used to form patterns.