KC Area Gardeners

dirtdaddy
12 years ago

I live in Eastern Ks and am a urban gardener! Anyone else?dd

Comments (5)

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

WOW! Three months and no replies?
    Are there other gardeners/ Garden Webbers in this area?
    We are considering relocating to the midwest. KS, NE, IO, MO.
    Thought this would be a good area for gardening.
    Are we way off base on that idea?
    BB

• pawneepapa
    12 years ago

No, KC is a great place to garden. I am new to GW but have gardened here for years. KC can have wild weather but there is usually a season for most plants. I have found good sources for cheap or free compost. Plus, there is good community support for home gardeners, e.g KC Community Gardens where a small donation gets you 10 packs of seeds, cheap seedlings, and a wealth of information. We also have Planters, which is the coolest seed shop I have ever seen. Its an old old store, dating back to early 1900's I think, where they sell seed from a wall of wooden drawers.

• Callirhoe
    12 years ago

Hey there! I'm in the Kansas City area and I would love to meet more area gardeners.

• mulio
    12 years ago

same here.

You know about the area seed/plant swaps coming up this year?

One is in Lawrence,Ks by the Kaw Valley Seed Project.
    Sat Feb 11 10am-3pm at the Douglas County fairgrounds.
    For more info about it (vendors, etc) they have a facebook page under Kaw Valley Seed Project.

The other is in Kansas City:
    5th Annual Citywide Seed, Bulb, and Plant Exchange May 19, 2012 9:00-12:00. at Anita B Gorman MDC Discovery Center 4750 Troost, KCMO.

Free event open to all area gardeners. Bring all items properly labeled and everyone just goes shopping for FREE! Please no invasives or weedy type items. It is Native Prairie Plant Day at the Center so they will be giving out seedling as well. Questions: Dayna 816-356-9892

• ziyakr
    12 years ago

I'm just east of the city, in western Independence and still considering myself a novice gardener after 4 years. Last fall I planted bulbs for the first time, and this year I'm gonna try some perennials and roses. Wish I had the energy for vegetable gardening, may try some simple things in containers this year.

The plant exchange sounds really great...wonder if my boss would give me a saturday off for it?

Ziya