Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Ivy to grow up along my house?

Posted by ickysgirl70 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 23:51

To those of you who are experienced with ivy, this will seem like a silly question...
I've been thinking about planting some ivy or vine to grow up along the south facing side of my house. My house does have vinyl siding and I know English Ivy can grow through the siding and into my walls. Is there a "safe", yet attractive ivy or vine perenial of some sort that will cover nicely without causing damage to my house and / or become invasive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Ivy to grow up along my house?

Unfortunately I think that any plant that is strong enough to cling to vinyl siding is strong enough to get through it. Your best bet is probably to set up trellises or strings of some sort and let whatever you plant grow up that. I've had very good luck with hops on the front of my house, but they do need support to grow.

o
RE: Climbing Ivy to grow up along my house?

Don't plant it on the South side of your house unless you live in the southern hemisphere. Ivy grows best on the North side. Only needs about 4 hours sunlight per day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here