Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poppydog_gw

Have you ever hated something just on its looks?

poppydog
17 years ago

I planted a daylily this year that was described as blooming red, double with frilly blooms, (or something like that.) It is more like the color of dried blood and the blooms are so curled and twisted that they just look deformed. I'm quite unhappy with it.

Comments (9)

• username_5
    17 years ago

hehehe... There is no law against murdering plants simply because you don't like the looks of them.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

LOL,

Do you have a pic or name of it? It sounds pretty neat to me but then again I like odd looking plants.

• poppydog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't have a picture, it's Double Firecracker. I guess it's not really that bad. The first couple of blooms were kind of gnarly, subsequent blooms have looked better. I don't think I'll kill it, but I might move it.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

I just googled it and I think it's a nice one. Do you mind if I ask where you got it? I've spent the day on the far S. Side of Chicago and saw lots of city planting with nice deep red dls and can't find them in Home Cheapo. I've only bought some yellowish pink colored one because they were pretty cheap.

• poppydog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Brown,

I bought two red ones (the second is about to bloom, Chicago Apache - I'll keep you posted.) at The Growing Place in Aurora. There is also one in Naperville. (I like Aurora better.) It is easily the most beautiful garden center I've ever seen. I don't think Garden Center is the correct term for it. Their selection is very extensive, and I consider their catalog a sort of bible. They offered 50 varieties of Daylilies this year. Don't even ask about Hostas! Sometimes there are problems and everything listed in their catalog doesn't come in from the suppliers, but then there is stuff that does that wasn't listed. It might be worth a trip form the south side just to check them out and get their catalog. Just be careful, I always over-spend there.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

If you are in IL - visit Hornbaker gardens - they have a website - in Princeton IL for daylilies and hostas. Unbelievable - I was there this weekend.
    BTW: I have noticed that a lot of the dark red daylilies do well in semi-shade - they don't bleach out to dried blood color as much.

• poppydog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Chicago Apache is supposed to hold it's color well. The Firecracker is more like a dark orangy-red.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Thanks all for the info.

• poppydog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Chicago Apache has bloomed. It is quite tall. The flowers are single, dark red with a yellow throat and don't fade. I'm not crazy about this one either, but I'm not crazy about daylilys in general. I planted them because the are reliable and the rabbits don't eat them. Filler mostly. Maybe I will learn to love them.