Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spygrrl

ISO Composted Manure Source - Chicago and Suburbs

spygrrl
17 years ago

I live in Park Ridge, but am originally from the south suburbs and visit my family in Frankfort often. I do NOT mind driving distances at all!

I would like to be prepared for next year's plantings. I am desperate to find a source of composted manure. I am a renter and I strictly forbidden from starting a compost bin. I mostly garden in containers, but I do have one small in-ground bed for tomatoes. I really, really want to dig some good stuff into it. It's not very large, maybe 15 x 2. So I don't need a massive amount, I'm happy to pay for it, and happy to drive to wherever it may be - far north, west, or south. I know there's farms out west and south, and where there's farms, there HAS to be manure!

Anyone know a source of good composted manure?

M

Comments (4)

• username_5
    17 years ago

No, sorry, although I am from Wisconsin rather than the flat land ;-)

In general composted manure isn't going to be found on farms. What will be found is fresh to old manure. It usually needs to sit awhile before it can be considered composted and if you can't compost you are somewhat screwed.

There are alternatives. You can compost in a plastic trash bag believe it or not. You don't even need sunlight, you can do it in a garage. Pack organic materials into a heavy trash bag and tie up and leave sit a few days. Open bag and shake well to aerate and then seal back up. Repeat and in a couple months you have compost. Alternately you can buy a compost tumbler. Most landlords wouldn't even realize you are composting with one of these. Some come on stands and you can make a little flower bed around them to make it look like an odd yard decoration ;-) They make compost fairly quickly and are much less odor prone than the garbage bag method.

There is nothing that compares to homemade compost from a variety of ingredients. Most store bought, bagged composts are made from single ingredients that are industry waste. Composted manure is made from manure and nothing else.

Do yourself a favor and find a way to make your own from a variety of ingredients (grass, leaves, kitchen scraps, plant material etc). The results will be worth it.

• justaysam
    17 years ago

Gilmer Rd., between Rt. 83 and Midlothian on the north side of the street. You can get all the horse manure you want for free.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

Spy,

Palatine Park District stable has horse manure for the taking - 24 hrs a day. It's on Dundee Rd just east of NW HWY. I go there all the time.

Palatine used to let people get compost too but the area was recently fenced in. :-( Bummer.

• tinamcg
    17 years ago

Pitimpinai, what do you do with the manure if it isn't composted? I've heard of people putting it out in winter. The management company at my old condo used to do this, much to the disgust of the 96 homeowners. But the gardens were gorgeous.

We live very close to the Palatine stable and I wonder about stopping there every time I drive by. If I knew what to do with all that free manure, I might be willing to stink up my Jeep with it.

I wasn't aware that the Palatine compost pile had been closed down. What's the deal? I was planning on stopping there this weekend when temps cooled down!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting