Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykc_gw

Dahlias did not sprout

AmyKC
10 years ago

I planted several dahlia tubers on the East side of my yard in late May. I'd never tried dahlias before. In fact, I'm new to gardening altogether but have really really fallen in love with it and had a wonderful summer with great luck...except for those dahlias. :( So a couple of questions. First, can anyone help me figure out why they didn't sprout so that I can avoid this problem in the future? And second, can I dig up the tubers and keep them to try again, and if so...how?
Let me give you some info on the planting. I live in Kansas City, MO. We are Zone 6 now. Again, I planted then in late May...a few days before Memorial Day. The day after planting we got a crazy crazy monsoon rain so I put more dirt on them the following day. The following weekend, I covered them in new pine mulch. We did have a really bad slug problem. For about two weeks I tried the slug hunting and coffee and eggshell tricks, etc...everything I could find on the Internet. I eventually had to resort to Sluggo. It worked. But I'm wondering if the slugs ate them? Did I over water? Underwater? Should I have waited to mulch? Mulch too late? Any tips?
And again, can I dig them up and save them???
Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)