Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias did not sprout

Posted by AmyKC none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 10:01

I planted several dahlia tubers on the East side of my yard in late May. I'd never tried dahlias before. In fact, I'm new to gardening altogether but have really really fallen in love with it and had a wonderful summer with great luck...except for those dahlias. :( So a couple of questions. First, can anyone help me figure out why they didn't sprout so that I can avoid this problem in the future? And second, can I dig up the tubers and keep them to try again, and if so...how?
Let me give you some info on the planting. I live in Kansas City, MO. We are Zone 6 now. Again, I planted then in late May...a few days before Memorial Day. The day after planting we got a crazy crazy monsoon rain so I put more dirt on them the following day. The following weekend, I covered them in new pine mulch. We did have a really bad slug problem. For about two weeks I tried the slug hunting and coffee and eggshell tricks, etc...everything I could find on the Internet. I eventually had to resort to Sluggo. It worked. But I'm wondering if the slugs ate them? Did I over water? Underwater? Should I have waited to mulch? Mulch too late? Any tips?
And again, can I dig them up and save them???
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias did not sprout

Did they actually sprout then disappear? Did you actually see slugs? How much more dirt and mulch did you pile on top? If there's no sprouting, you probably have nothing to lose by digging up the tubers. They may well be mushy and rotten from a wet spring and the ground staying wet under an extra layer of soil and mulching. If so, they cannot be saved.

If you love dahlias (and who doesn't), get your gardening experience with them next season by buying a box of tubers from Costco, Sam's Club, hardware stores, or any of the other big box stores for not too much of an $ investment. I've had good luck with those the years I buy them. They might not be the exotic mail order types, but they grow and bloom. I'm not interested in digging and storing so get fresh ones and discard at season's end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here