Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejpip

full shade to full sun

ejpip
16 years ago

We recently had a patio put in and I need to put in some kind of screen between the walkway to the patio and the air conditioner. I was thinking of upright yews versus a privacy screen but I am concerned because this area would have full shade in the morning from a 2 story house and full afternoon sun. Any suggestions for plants that could also provide privacy and survive in this environment. The area between the walkway and the AC unit is about 7 feet. We live in the St. Louis area so I believe in zone 5. Thanks

Comments (4)

• Vicki
    16 years ago

Yews can handle some shade and should have no problem growing in that environment. I put up a privacy fence and then attached a wooden trellis across the whole length and planted clematis that gets morning shade and afternoon sun. Perennials shade the roots. My neighbor loves it.

• entling
    16 years ago

I think you might be confused about the terms "full sun" & "full shade" and the concept of direct sunlight. "Full sun" is an area that receives direct sunlight for at least 6-8 hours per day. An area that receives direct sunlight starting in the afternoon, such as a Western exposure, should be planted with things that are for full sun.
    In addition to a columnar yew, there are upright, narrow junipers that would work in your situation.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

"An area that receives direct sunlight starting in the afternoon, such as a Western exposure, should be planted with things that are for full sun" Entling is absolutely right. Typical shade plants will fry in afternoon sun in Missouri.
    Be careful not to get something that will get bigger than you want unless you plan to use hedge trimmers on them. Plant tags aren't very accurate a lot of times.

• busyd95
    16 years ago

You also need to consider how your a/c unit vents and give it enough room to be serviced--if it vents up, you are fine--if a side vent, then nothing will grow near the vent due to the heat generated.