Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is ANYONE successful with foxtail lily?

Posted by cheerpeople 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 10:25

I'd love to have these if they'd grow.

Sounds like they are fussy.

I tried the walmart one and it died.

I've never seen them in person- makes me wonder if they succeed in Illinois at all??
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is ANYONE successful with foxtail lily?

The Chicago Botanic Garden has a bunch in their English Wall Garden that are, as far as I know, perennial. They also have more or less perfect soil, and being against a wall gives them a zone. If you call their plant information desk, they may be able to give you more info. I'm also in a zone 6 pocket and have the well-drained soil they supposedly like. The one I planted two falls ago bloomed fantastically the first spring; this spring all I got was foliage. And a couple of late-season bargain shorties I planted last fall didn't come up at all. I may try feeding the one that had leaves and see if that helps for next year.

o
RE: Is ANYONE successful with foxtail lily?

I planted 10 two falls ago. Six of them came up the first spring. This year all six of them came up, but only 4 had blossoms. One of them had multiplied.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here