Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcbarbara

Stunted Beckies

kcbarbara
16 years ago

Usually my Becky Shasta daisies are massive -both the patch and the size of flower. This year it's just pitiful! The size of the patch shrunk noticeably and the flowers are stunted looking. Small petals, short stems, just all around weak and sad looking.

I'm thinking this is a result of the prolonged Easter freeze which followed our record warm March. Anyone else having this problem?

HOpefully she'll recover. Becky has been a consistent returner for me - nearly thuggish, actually - and a bright spot in the garden.

Comments (7)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

My yarrow is pitiful. I lost 2 old roses and a lot of my tickseed. For some reason even some of my annuals are really pathetic this year. My neighbor has mentioned that many of her old standbys are doing poorly as well.

Sharing the pain,
    whynot

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Mine are doing great. We had a spring freeze, too, but it didn't get my beckys.

• phyl345
    16 years ago

my beckys are as wonderful as ever ... they really *are* almost thugish though ... i have to dig mine up & divide every other year ... could that be your situation? ... phyl

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think it's a division-need issue although I may dig them up anyway in the fall and not wait until spring. The flowers are fairly numerous just tiny. Short stems, little tiny faces. They don't resemble the Becky of the past in the slightest.

It's an odd summer. Some of the plants whacked by the freeze are doing better than ever, others that seemed barely affected at the time are struggling to hang on now. I have a couple of hostas that turned to mush at Easter and now threaten to consume my entire yard. Ginormous doesn't half describe them. Conversely other plants that have been thuggish, like Becky, look like pipsqueaks.

Mother Nature is a moody old gal!

Barbara

• karbie18
    16 years ago

Mine disappeared completely, and my black eyed susans look just like you describe. Very unusual.

Karen

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

Barbara,
    My Beckies have been the same way, and I think it's the Easter freeze phenomenon. Have you fertilized? I would fertilize, and next year she'll probably be back to normal.

This has been a bad gardening year. I lost the majority of my roses, and most of my lilies were nailed by the freeze. Hopefully, the lilies will be back to normal next year.

My Jackmanii clematis usually blooms the end of May, but this year was blooming in July because it had to start all its growth over again after the freeze.

I hope that freeze was just one of those "once every 40 or 50 year" things! A local nursery owner told me the last time there was an April freeze like that was back in the 60's. Hopefully, it won't happen again for another 40 years!

Deanna

• runktrun
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I stumbled on your forum quite by accident as I usually spend my time on the New England forum. Hope you don't mind if I put my two cents in as I find the topic very interesting. I live on land that is considered a Sandplain so needless to say my soil is nutrient poor, well draining, highly acidic (in some areas of my property the ph is 4.4) sandy soil. My Beckies are really a show piece they begin blooming in June and although they are now beginning to diminish they are still a strong presence in the garden reaching 3 1/2 - 4 feet tall. My sister who is a daisy nut but lives in Orlando Fla was thrilled when Beckies hit the market place as they were bread for warmer climates. Her experience with them has been disappointing to say the least, hers were always stunted to 1-11/2 feet and the plants would quickly rot under Florida's hot wet summers. We here on the east coast did not experience your horrible spring freeze but the effects of climatic changes have effected us too. In my community we had what is called a 100 year breech when a barrier beach unexpectedly broke open this spring changing the currents and temperature to our bay and harbor. Those that earn there living on those waters are really struggling. Happy Gardening kt

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!