Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnielsen_gw

Cocoa mulch and rodents?

LNielsen
19 years ago

Does anyone know if cocoa bean mulch attracts rodents (i.e., rats)?

Comments (9)

• Jen26
    19 years ago

Don't know, but someone told me it attracts ants.

• virginia_w
    19 years ago

Chipmunks love it. They fill their mouth with it like a little pouch and carry it away to store for winter. :) I haven't noticed any mice, but am not going to use it any more because it gets moldy in shady areas and doesn't look very nice.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

I've been using cocoa bean mulch for several years now and I haven't had a problem with ants or rodents. It can get moldy, but then I stir it a little. For me it's great on keeping the soil moist. I have one garden that is in dry shade. Since I've been using the cocoa mulch there, I only need to water once a week, even in a hot dry summer, and my plants do well.
    I've read that about dogs also. They can get sick if they eat it.

Kat

• stacyp9
    19 years ago

I have used it for years and have never had problems with rodents or ants. The only time I ever had a time with it molding was when I put down some bags that already had some mold in it and it spread.

I think it looks more formal then other mulches. I wish it didn't lose its delicious smell so quickly though. I also can get easily blown around by lawn mowers etc.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

Stacy, most of the mold I get is in the shady areas. But it's not a problem to me. I just stir it a little. I like the look of it more than other mulches also. Has a nice dark brown color that lasts. As for the smell, I really don't care for it. I do love chocolate, but my nose just doesn't pick up that scent! LOL! Luckily for me, it doesn't last long.
    I do turn mine back into the garden the next year. Then I just add a little more, you don't need a lot. I like this because it decomposes faster than wood does.

Kat

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

Just moved from Chicago suburb after gardening there for 30 years. We were in an area that had an over-abundance of field mice in the fall. The cocoa mulch did not attract them. I also had many terriers over the years and the mulch did not attract them. I loved that smell. I didn't have a problem with mold.

• smom40
    19 years ago

I was completely blown away by the smell the first time I used it. Would walk out onto my porch and get hit with that chocolate smell.

Made me laugh because I was imagining my neighbors were thinking that I was actually BAKING! LOL!

• Skip Donald
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone,getting ready to use it down here in Houston..Hope it does well
Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler