Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyda730

Container Plants to Beautify New Deck

jyda730
16 years ago

I know it's late in the season, but I just finished opening my deck this week (needed to replace vinyl roof and aluminum rafters). In early June I planted Moonflowers, Nastruim, Sweet Pea and Four O'Clocks in containers with trellises -- None of these have flowered. They all have foilage and are climbing but no flowers. So, I was wondering if any of you could give me suggestions on annuals that I could put in the containers to complement what I've already planted (if they flower) or that would look spectaular if they don't. I plan to buy large plants so that I won't spend the rest of the summer waiting for them to get some height. Also, any insights into why my plants aren't flowering would be helpful. They are well taken care of, but maybe I planted them too late. (One last thing -- I live in a southern suburb of Chicago and was wondering if there are any good nurseries I could visit - I find myself wandering around Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and being totally frustrated that I can't find the plants I'm looking for (I have to take a list or I'm overwhelmed) or the sales associate know nothing about plants or gardening.

Comments (3)

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

Your current plants probably aren't flowering because they aren't quite big enough yet -- give them time and they will. That's assuming they're getting adequate sun, of course. Sweet peas don't like the heat much (unless you planted the perennial sweet pea, it doesn't care) so they may not flower well for you, but the others should be OK. Moonflowers, in my limited experience, are slow to flower, and of course bloom late in the day and at night so you may not see them if you aren't out then.

You could put just about any annual you like with them -- but your choice will be limited by what's left at this time of year. Most places don't replenish annuals much after the 1st of June because most people are done putting them in. You will find some, however, and also pansies will be showing up again before too long (they also like cool weather so they're good fall plants).

I can't help you with nurseries -- can you look in the yellow pages or google it? You're right, the box stores staff usually don't know anything about the plants they're selling; going to a good nursery and talking with knowledgeable staff is always a help.

Plant what appeals to you (making sure it fits the situation your current plants are in) and enjoy!

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Since you have plenty of climbers you might want to think about something that will trail out of your planters to give yourself some downward interest. Don't really know what you've considered so far but with all those green climbers in the background some colored foliage might be fun: dusty miller, sun tolerant coleus, verigated sage, that sort of thing.

You might also consider some herbs that flower: basil, pineapple sage, chives, etc. Sometimes places will have herbs left even when the annuals are gone. You'll get flowers and goodies for the kitchen as well.

best to you and enjoy the new deck.

• Carole Westgaard
    16 years ago

jyda730: I also live in Chicagoland and am never finished with planters until July! I am attaching a pic of a planter at a friends' home - it's mostly coleus (the peach) and sweet potato vine (the very dark and the chartreuse). There are some tiny yellow flowers mixed in but as you can see, it's mostly foliage and this is what I do - plus a few wave petunias cascading. I would also recommend Sid's in Palos Hills (or is it 'heights'?) and they're also in Bolingbrook. If you want to email me directly, I can give you more places as my son lives in Lisle and I also am at Morton Arboretum all the time so I know a lot of nurseries south and southwest. I hope this pic comes through!

Westy (cdwestg@comcast.net)

{{gwi:40695}}