Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
porshfan04

issues w/a garden surrounding a tree

porshfan04
16 years ago

I live in east Kansas, and we recently decided to plant a garden surrounding a tree in the middle of our yard. we pulled up the grass in a circle about radius 5 feet and enclosed the area with decorative bricks. when we started going to till and plant, we had a lot of trouble digging because of the tree roots all over in the area. i chopped through a few that were really in the way, but i didn't want to break up to many of them for the sake of the tree.

we laid out the variety of perrenials we'd gotten and dug the holes as good as we could for them and planted. i usually use a mix of hte existing soil (or clay since we're in the midwest /= ) and compoasted manure and some fertilizer. this has always worked well for my veggie garden and some shrubs we have planted before. the plants have now been in the ground for about 2 weeks or so, and some of them seem to be doing well, but others are really struggling to make new growth. i can only attribute this to the fact that we didn't till the soil very well because of the roots.

i'm not going to give up on these ones yet... i'm still watering them well and giving semi regular superthrive feedings to try and help boost them, but it doesn't look very promising. anyone have any ideas? the tree is very well established and close to 20 years old. i don't think its in any real danger of being damaged by cutting out the nearby roots, but what do you guys say?

if i can't make the current plan work, i also considered doing them in containers in the area instead. i haven't shopped around for any really, because i don't know how it'd work out. can you grow perennials in containers with much long term success? our winters generally reach a low of -10F or so i think. is this to cold for a plant in a pot above ground to stay alive?

i guess i'm just a little bit in the dark here on the whole subject. any advice or ideas anyone has on how to make everything look pretty and grow well would be most appreciated.

if desired, i could post some photos of the area soon to get a better idea.

thanks

-Jon

Comments (6)

• webkat5
    16 years ago

The feeder roots of a tree are fairly close to the surface....
    It is generally not recommended that a tiller be used around them...

Some trees don't even like to have anything growing around their base...I think you can find this info on the net somewhere...

What kind of tree is it? What perennials are you planting?

• webkat5
    16 years ago

This article may help a bit....

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting around trees...

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

As mentioned planting under trees can be a tricky business. Mature trees tend to pull up a lot of water and nutrients making it a tough environment for smaller plants. If the trees are evergreen the soil is generally higher in acid so you'd want to find acid loving shade plants. If the trees have lower branches there's not a lot of indirect light available under the tree.

Unless you want height you might consider some ground covers like lamium, vinca minor, lily of the valley or violets.

Hosta and columbine can tolerate shade and some drought and can give you some bloom time. If you go with columbine I suggest starting from seed as they have a taproot that can be fussy to move. This also saves you the chore of having to dig and preserves the soil structure under the tree. I tend to stick with the "vulgar" varieties as they tend to be pretty darn hardy. If you decide to plant hosta it's usually a lot easier to work with rather small divisions and let them grow into the space available. If you buy one in a gallon bucket you might divide it into 2 or 3 sections before planting. This does make for a smaller plant but you might find more long term success this way.

Whatever you decide to do you'll have to baby your plants for the first couple of years, at least. Water regularly since it's likely to be much drier under the trees than elsewhere in the yard.

Best of luck to you!

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Is your tree still alive??

• busyd95
    16 years ago

I would remove the decorative brick work and use the ground covers mentioned above. Movement of the tree roots will eventually cause the bricks to shift and look unsightly, anyway, unless your circle is well beyond the canopy line. Add mulch and be patient. Watch to see (long term) what plants do well and what don't.

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

I would cover the cleared area with wood chips and then make a new flower bed as far away from the tree as possible. Here is the easy way. Save up newspapers for a couple of months. Spread them at least 5-ply thick and cover with wood chips for the winter. Not a thick mulch of chips, just enough to prevent the paper from blowing away.
    Next Spring, uncover the soil and VOILA! instant garden with no grass. Work in some compost or manure and plant.

Alternative plan, plant in pots. Sink them at least part way into the soil, as tree roots allow. This takes alot of watering, but looks nearly perfect. When it all freezes out, dump the soil and replace in the ground. If you need to, place rocks in pots to prevent blowing away during the winter.
    In the long run, gardening under a tree is sort of a lose, lose situation. Unless you garden under a small and non-invasive type tree. Right now, I am doing great gardening under a River Birch. Eventually, the big bully (the tree) will win out over the little guys (the perennials) It is pretty futile to fight mother nature, but many of us continue to do it. Give it some thought. Pondy