Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Cutting Bee

Posted by JoanDaugh Z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 13:57

Yesterday I watched a bee-looking insect carry off a piece of leaf from a small volunteer tree (right before I snipped the tree). It wrapped its legs around a piece that had been cut and flew off. It was so cool! I've tried to find info online about leaf cutting bees but haven't found much. There were smooth rounded circles cut out of these leaves. The insect was kind of black and light orange striped. Does anybody know more about these? I hope they're not bad for the other plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Cutting Bee

They like one of my rose bushes best. it is so weird to see these perfectly round pieces cut out of the leaves. Kind of cool. I have had them for years to no ill effect.

o

They are new to me this year. I haven't seen the bees, just the cuts. I did some searching and found they are actually considered beneficial as pollinators. The damage is considered of no consequence, although one of our roses is really chewed up.

o

Yesterday, I had the great experience of watching up close and actually hearing the bee cutting off a round-oval piece of leaf edge while sitting on a log in the woods. It was a small green, albeit tasty looking to him, some type of bush next to my log. Off he flew with it and came back about every 5 minutes and sliced and diced another hunk of leaf and flew away. Looking him up, he is called the " Leaf Cutting Bee". Mine was gold and black striped and resembled a miniature bumble. There are many different looking types. Just type in 'leaf cutting bee' and lots of websites come up. They are great pollinators and do no harm. It says they can out pollinate honey bees!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here