Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almost total shade...

Posted by Elisabeth_Rose z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 15:25

I have a 10 x 14 foot fenced area outside my diningroom windows that at the most get one hour of sun (early morning and late afternoon) I have baskets of Impatients hanging on the fence posts, and they are doing well, but would like to plant a couple of flowering bushes or shrubs that would grow to maybe 5-6 feet. Is there anything that will do well in such an environment??? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almost total shade...

I was just out to visit my sister in wooded West Virginia. There were rhododendrons, some quite large, growing in the well-shaded forest. I don't know specifically what type they were.

There were also some beautiful Eastern dogwoods (cornus florida) growing throughout the forest. These are not shrubs, but are small trees that have beautiful spring flowers.

Both of these plants should do just fine in our zone.

Jerger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here