Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianm80

huge suckers at bottom of pear tree - what to do?

brianm80
16 years ago

Hello! This is my first post after browsing this forum for probably 5 years on and off. I finally have been troubled enough to have to join and post a question! ;)

On the bottom of my bradford (I think) pear tree I have a good number of fairly thick suckers protruding out of the ground immediately next to the trunk. I tried digging them out and the problem is I'm digging into major tree roots and I'm afraid I'd be doing more harm than good.

Call me lazy, since I noticed these suckers a few weeks back (other projects were calling my name!). Now I'm paying the price, since some of them are up to about 3/4" thick. I know that simply trimming at the ground level will cause them to shoot up with more vigor than currently. What is the best way to remove them without hurting the tree's root system? A woody weed poison carefully brushed on? Would it seep into the "good" parts of the tree and harm the whole thing? Spraying an herbicide is probably risky due to overspray. Does anyone have any good ideas for this?

Thanks,

Brian (detroit area)

Comments (7)

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

All I ever did with pear suckers was prune them back as far as possible. Some resprouted but it wasn't a big problem for me. I've never heard that pruning the sprouts will make them shoot up with more vigor and it certainly wasn't my experience but maybe it depends on the variety.

Herbicides applied to the suckers have the potential to kill or injure the root system so that might not be the best idea.

You might want to contact your local master gardener's program and/or cooperative extension service to see if they have other thoughts.

Good luck, and happy gardening!

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

I have a friend who uses a product called "Sucker Stop" - at least that's what I believe it is called. She's been using it on ornamentals - I don't know if it is labelled for fruit trees or not. You might check into it.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Herbicide - not recommended

Pruning in the winter can cause them less likely to re-sprout. But if your tree is prone to or somehow in a mode to sucker, then it's just going to keep doing it. I wouldn't count on any product to be 100% effective in stopping this, but it might make the ongoing problem more manageable for you.

Bradford pear is known for it's weak wood. You might consider replacing it with a "better" choice. If you do, plant the new tree a few feet away from the old one.

• brianm80
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone! My gut told me the poison was a bad idea, but I wondered if anyone had tried it with good results. I'll try pruning in the winter and looking for this sucker stop stuff. And yes, perhaps the local gardener's program would be of help. Is anyone near the detroit area here? Does anyone know of a good group to hook up with? I've always done gardening only as a hobby and all my knowledge is passed down from my parents or read on this or other forums, so I don't know much about the gardening resources in my area. zip is 48116, Brighton, MI Thanks

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    16 years ago

Hi Brian,

I live in Brighton Township. I am not a member of any of the local gardening groups, so I can't say what they are like. I looked into the Brighton Garden Club in the past, but their meetings are during the day - and I work, so that doesn't fit with my schedule. I heard about a gardening club in Novi/Northville a few weeks ago that I may look into further at some point in time, but I have just been way too busy.

I don't know too much about trees, so I can't be of much help. I have a Chanticleer Pear that I bought at Plymouth Nursery four or five years ago and have not had any problems with suckering. My crab apple suckers like crazy, which I hate.

Here's a link I found to some information on Brighton area clubs and groups, the garden club info is in there.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton Clubs, Groups, etc.

• gardening_questions
    16 years ago

Trees tend to put up more suckers when they are under stress. Is the tree under more stress than it should be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sucker Control