Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irene_in

Rose Of Sharon blooming

Irene_IN
18 years ago

My Rose Of Sharon bush is blooming,here in Indiana... more blooms every day!

What with this??? Everything seems earlier this year. Is it just me,or has anyone else noticed this? Irene

Comments (13)

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

Mine is loaded with buds, but the Jap beetles are cutting them to ribbons before they can show much. A couple of hours ago, I went out there with a plastic quart container filled with soapy water and held it under them while the little pussbuckets happily fell in it right to their watery deaths! Give hell to jap beetles!!!!

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Something I have noticed with Rose of Sharon. I think it is toward the end of the bloom cycle. One day birds will come and eat the flowers. Not just one type but several. They act like the flowers are the greatest food on earth. The feeders include several types of sparrows, cardinals, mockingbirds, bluejays, and doves. Has anyone noticed this behavior other than myself? Do you have any idea why?

• Irene_IN
    Original Author
    18 years ago

maifleur,I have several bird feeders near the R.O.S.that I keep filled with sunflower and thisle seed..so the birds never bother the flowers. Also have a bird bath that has a line of birds waiting their turn for a drink.
    If you don't have seed put out for them...maybe that is what they are after.I still think it is way to early for r.o.s.to be blooming. Irene

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Irene, The feed is there and water also. This a concerted feeding frenzy. Also I have a wooded area accross the street that is about twenty acres for wild food and the stream has water. My ROS has been blooming for about three weeks now. OUr climate has changed so much that what used to bloom early either blooms in January or very late. The autumn bloomers now start in July.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Mine haven't bloomed yet. I have two varieties - don't know the names - but one is true pink w/double flowers and the other is a fuschia w/double flowers. Both get JBs, but of course, they like the lighter colored ones the best!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I too notice plants are blooming earlier than they used to. My white and pink ROS has been blooming at least 2 wks, and my smaller purple flower ROS has buds and flowers..I've also two types of hardy hibiscus, (ROS's relative) that is at least 25" tall..Normally stems don't show until mid July..But perhaps it's for the best..does this mean longer flowering periods? Longer summer? Toni

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Sorry, Toni, expect a cool fall period right after Labor Day. What I have noticed is all seasons are starting earlier, as if the calendar has been changed by about 6 weeks but no one has revised the dates. Some plants are adjusting others are not.

• joandaugh
    18 years ago

My biggest Rose of Sharon suddenly exploded into bloom on Saturday, and the bees are so happy. I have a problem with this bush and I've been looking for help online. I haven't identified what kind this is, but it is huge and grows vigorously; single purple blooms. I'm assuming it's a pretty generic Rose of Sharon.

This is my second summer with this yard & house. I didn't plant the bush/tree and it's now taking over the sidewalk. This is my husband's biggest peeve--I've spent the last year replacing or moving other plants that dared to flop onto the sidewalk. I must admit it's really out of control. I should have pruned it more this spring. How big do these guys get? Will it be horribly hurt if I prune it back now some more while it's blooming? It's right next to the house, in a narrow strip of ground (about 2-1/2 feet). Should we just remove the whole bush? It's about 8 feet tall and growing like crazy. It's so beautiful I hate to take it out. It has also made LOTS of babies so I have to decide whether they should stay or go too.

I also have a Diana (white) that hasn't bloomed yet, and a double-lavender flowered bush in the backyard. I love them all.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Maif, I'm going to be optimistic and 'think' we'll have an extended summer..LOL..But serously, the warm weather has been going on at least five yrs now. Winters are mild.
    Joan, why do you think the purple ROS is generic? Actually, they've recently come out the last 10 or less yrs, and this plant wasn't cheap..(S)
    Joan, depending on sun will determine your ROS's height..My taller is way larger than expected, but its growing in full sun, morn and afternoon.
    As for those ROS's growing alongside the mom, it's best to rid them, cause they'll grow just as tall or taller eventually..I have to keep digging babies, too..and once over 8" tall, they're difficult pulling out.
    If you like the tree, maybe you can prune the side hitting the house? Also, is yours a bush or tree? If a tree, remove side branhes. If a bush, you can always thin it. Toni

• joandaugh
    18 years ago

Toni--the more I look at the bush next to the house (I think it's a bush--it has multiple trunks) I wonder whether it received some storm damage when we had those heavy rains--the water was pouring off the roof. That's when the branches started moving toward the sidewalk. One major branch is now really bending, so I think I am going to have to take it off. I can't convince my husband to put brackets or something like that in the side of the house to hold it up (he's probably right). That part has started dropping flowers before they're finished blooming, so I don't think that's a good sign either.

A friend told me that they do have a lifespan. I'll try to identify the bush this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. My double bloom Rose of Sharon is starting to open its buds. Diana seems to be the slowest growing of the three, is more compact and hasn't started blooming yet.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

My Rose of Sharon is in a large container on my 4th floor balcony. It seems to bloom one flower at a time. Why am I not getting many blooms? It's 2 years old. Should I fertilize it? If so, with what? It is called Bluebird and Chiffon. Any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Hi Joan..Oh I'd love seeing pics of a double ROS..where did you find it? What color flowers? It sounds beautiful..
    Joan, how tall is your tree? If not too large, can you stake and tie it? My purple flowered type is growing crooked..I think when it was younger the winds moved it and since then it's just not straight..I too need to stake mine..After a while, the tree should straighten up and you can remove the stake..Stick bamboo or plastic nearest the plant, then w/string or tie backs, (I prefer string) fasten it so the tree is standing straight. This way you don't have to bother w/brackets.

Cadence, I feed my ROS's w/a hibiscus food..I buy it at www.stokestropicals.com or www.plumeriapeople.com It's a time release and lasts 3 months..I divide the dosage and apply once a month..I also use this food on my hardy and tropical hibiscus. It works like a charm..Toni

• krob116_mediacombb_net
    12 years ago

I planted seeds of my lavender ros and that was 2 years ago and its about 3 and 1/2 ft tall and doesnt seem like its going to bloom--can anyone help me.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County