Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID needed

Posted by dellis326 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:39

These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my home in Chicago. I've never seen anyone around here growing them and they come back every year. They are about 6 - 8 inches tall. I have tried to transplant some into my garden but they all died. They seem to only grow in the cracks of the pavement and don't grow in open soil.

Can anyone ID them.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID needed

looks Phlox paniculata the common garden pholx

o

Thanks for your reply. It may be a phlox, There are similarities but it is different than what are in any of the gardens around here,

These are much shorter, have much fewer flowers and also as I wrote before it only seems to grow in the cracks in the pavement of our alley and not in open soil. There is one garden next to the alley and they don't grow there. Interestingly, I haven't seen it growing even in the next alley across the street or on the next block. It is puzzling.

Maybe it is a native/wild variety.

Thank you again!

o

I still think it is P. paniculata. The native plant has been cultivated to produce many different varieties but when it becomes naturalized the natural traits begin to return after a few generations.

o

OK Thanks a lot. I'll search for native phlox and see what I come up with.

Again, Thanks for your help.

o

I'm pretty sure this is Silene or Red Campion. I have it growing in one of my beds, and love it's long bloom period. Try collecting seeds if you are not having luck transplanting it. Here's a link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_campion

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Red Campion

o

Thank you. I will look into this one too. It does look more like it.

o

Growing in cracks in the pavement, the plant is probably smaller than normal size because nutrients/moisture are inadequate in the soil under the pavement. There may also be undesirable chemicals in the soil (if asphalt), or a pH (if concrete) which is not ideal for the plant, or oil from passing cars -- any of those could be a stunting factor.

Maybe watch it carefully for seedpods, and scatter seeds in your garden or start some in pots?

o

Not Phlox paniculata. The leaves are totally different from Phlox'.
It is Silene armeria..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here