Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog Friendly Shrubs (Zone Four)

Posted by lewdog 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 19:48

I am the proud owner of three Airedale-Lab mixes (two males and one female). I also am the proud owner of a potentially beautiful backyard in Western Wisconsin (zone 4). We have done some pet friendly landscaping where we have incorporated a blue stone patio and wall, many boulders, a couple of birdbaths and tons of mulch.

As many of you know, its incredibly challenging to have a esthetically pleasing yard when sharing it with our large canine friends.

I was hoping someone out there could help a fellow passionate gardener and share their knowledge of plants (particularly shrubs) that can tolerate large dogs urine. Im getting pretty frustrated when I have to dispose of once beautiful shrubs (e.g. mugho pines, upright yews, weigelas and spireas) only to be subjected to my dogs!

We have had good success with honeysuckle bushes and (funny enough) dogwoods. And, minimal success with winterberries, ninebarks, rhododendrons and barberries.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog Friendly Shrubs (Zone Four)

I don't have suggestions for plants but diluting the urine by hosing down the plant/shrub as soon as the dog has completed its business is one of the fastest and easiest solutions to plants getting "burned". So, if you are there when you let your dogs out to do their business and can wash down the plants they should recover. If that's not possible you might try placing some items in your garden that they might find more attractive ie driftwood sculpture, upright garden decorations like pylons, etc.

There was a big thread about dog urine and lawn care that I've attached for you.

Good Luck. btw, an airedale/lab mix sounds wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog urine thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here