Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New gardner with questions about annuals over winter...

Posted by quilt_mommy OH/Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 20:10

Hi there, I hope that I've come to the appropriate place to ask my questions, if not, I apologize in advance. This forum is huge!

I am a 25 year old Stay at Home Mom to two young children, and have just discovered gardening! I purchased on a whim some plants that are most likely very common and easy to you very knowledgable and experienced gardners, but I'm really not sure what to do with them over winter! LOL*

I picked up a boxwood & celosia late this summer and potted them (we currently rent and I have been hesitant to put too much money into permanent landscaping) and I'm wondering if I should bring them both in for the winter? The boxwood being a shrub I imagine would be fine outdoors though I'm curious if being potted will effect its hardiness? And the celosia, do they do well indoors? Does anyone have any special suggestions for success in keeping it indoors? Neither were very expensive, but I would enjoy the learning experience, and being on a budget these days I'd like to keep as much as I can for as long as I can!

Thank you, and I appreciate any advice that can be given! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New gardner with questions about annuals over winter...

I believe the general rule with container plants is that you should consider conditions in an exposed container to be 2 zones colder than in the ground. Unless boxwood is hardy to zone 4, you should bury it in the ground (pot and all) for the winter or find some other way to protect it.

I don't have any experience with celosia. I assume it is a tropical plant but I don't know if it normally lives beyond 1 season. If not, there isn't much point to bringing it in!

o
RE: New gardner with questions about annuals over winter...

Being an annual, the celosia will complete its lifecycle in one season, so don't even try to keep that one going.

If you want to keep the boxwood outside this winter, set the container into a larger container (not necessarily an expensive plant pot), and stuff insulation in the gap between the two pots. Then set the whole thing in a protected spot, preferably on the south side of the house, protected from any wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here