Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motria_gw

any heat damage in the garden?

motria
17 years ago

The tips of my toadlilies got a little roasted this weekend.. they are in a spot that gets more sun than they like. I cut them back a few inches today - they say you can pinch back fall-bloomers throught the middle of July, so they should be okay.. I hope. A recently planted wiegela has some browned leaves, too, so I'll lob those off sometime soon.

Do you have any garden casualties?

Comments (17)

• piegirl
    17 years ago

Daylillies and my beet crop bite the dust in mid june. Piegirl

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

No casualties from the heat but tons of Japanese Beetle damage.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I have quite a few pathetic looking plants....probably will have to do some damage control once the temps normalize...

• poppydog
    17 years ago

I've been watering a lot so everything is mostly ok, however, my Forever and Ever Hydrangea (in a large container) seems to be biting the dust. Leaves turning black and falling off or brown and fried. I'm not sure if it's the heat or something else or a combo.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Not yet!! But I leave on vacation tomorrow and my son is in charge of watering. Hope I have something alive when I get back!!

Lee

• anitamo
    17 years ago

My hostas are doing terrible. The leaves are brown and or yellowing. Even with enough water, I think that heat wave did in the ones growing in more sun than shade. I know they'll survive for the long run, but they look pathetic right now.

• motria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hang on, everybody! It's going to get rough again. :-(

I set up a little table over my toadlilies to give them some shade for the next few days. All the other plants are on their own!

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Got back from vacation today and everything is still alive!!! Thought for sure something would be toast. Just had a few things damaged by some 60mph straight line winds. Nothing major, at least my bananas and elephant ears are loving this weather.

Lee

• poppydog
    17 years ago

This new heat wave is taking it's toll. I have Zinnias in an old metal milk can on the BLACK driveway that just can't keep up. Is there anything that would? Perennials are all looking a little fried.

• tinamcg
    17 years ago

I ordered some shade fabric from Lee Valley Tools last week. I'm hoping it arrives today. I'm going to try to construct some shade screens for parts of the garden that tend to get the most toasted. I don't know for sure how I'm going to do it, but I'll figure it out. Earlier in the season, I did what Motria did. I put patio furniture over some tender seedlings that were getting fried by the early-season heat wave. My husband thinks my shade fabric will look stupid, but he admits it won't look as bad as patio tables and chairs in the flower beds.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Central Wisconsin... Had some leaf-burn on my pole bean leaves, but only on newer growth. Other than that, everything seems to have grown like wildfire! Corn & pole beans grew so fast, I could almost hear them crackle.

• gunnysack
    17 years ago

Here in SE Kansas we have had temps in the high 90's to 100 plus for days now, with no rain in sight. A lot of the things I put so much work into over the last 12 years ... all gone. Hosta, Bleeding Heart, Heuchera , Iris, roses, clematis, even tough perenial wild flowers are dead. Weeds I tried to kill with Roundup 2 years ago are dead! 2 large pecan trees are showing stress. Tonight we have a 20% chance of rain.

Kathy

• motria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy - sorry to hear about your losses!

Let's hope we're over the hump now with the heat; the rain was nice last night. I'm going to start some seeds now for fall planting - yarrow, agastache, some other tough perennials. I'm planning a global warming proof garden. Ha!

• missourilark
    17 years ago

Hello all,haven't had time to garden web lately...hi webkat5!..I feel terrible saying that I got up early yesterday,and yanked every plant out of my garden.It was a major improvement!I don't know what went wrong,the soggy spring,then came the drought.My tomatoes had blossom rot,and I thought I had amended my garden so well.Everything else withered...despite my near $50 water bill,monthly,it just never seemed to be enough.Am hoping I may get some ideas here for a short fall planting.It would first have to rain,need it sooo badly!

• dianamo_1
    17 years ago

[quote]I feel terrible saying that I got up early yesterday,and yanked every plant out of my garden.[/quote]

I felt like doing that to my garden today. I'm so sick of looking at burned up leaves and shriveled up flowers. My hostas look like crap. :-(

• motria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my, I didn't realize there was a drought going on in Missouri. Illinois bounced back from last year's drought, so it's a hazy memory now. I'm attaching the "U.S. Drought Monitor" link in case some folks haven't seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Drought Monitor

• flowergirl70ks
    17 years ago

With over 30 days in 100's and over, nothing looks good. However my sweet potatoes are about 8 ft in diameter. I just hope there's something under them. We finally had a little rain and things cooled off, so some things made a small comeback. My clematis all turned brown and lost their leaves and now they are greening up again. The water bills were ferocious. sp?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz