Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watermelons in N Indiana?

Posted by Chevere33 z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 23:30

I decided, a tad late I am starting to think, to grow watermelons. I did not set them into the garden until the second week of June (around the 10th). The plants are looking good, with big leaves and loads of blossoms. I saw one or two grape-sized melons started. What are the chances they will grow to full size? How long will it take? Is there anything I an do to speed things up? I have them set on black plastic squares, about 3' square. They are full-sized watermelons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watermelons in N Indiana?

Hi Chevere,

We still have a good 60 days of the growing season left so I think you will most certainly have some watermelon! Enjoy!

o
RE: watermelons in N Indiana?

Chevere,

You may get something before frost. I am picking some full sized watermelons now. I brought a 27 pound SF#790HQ in today so you can see that it can be done. 3 ft. blocks of black plastic is good. Even better is the IRT 100 plastic mulch that lets more heat through than black. I think that small holes around the plants when transplanted is good and later make the hole bigger to let rain in better.
I like to transplant about May 14-18.

Regards, Wayne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here