Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorrainehaye

What MUST be watered daily in my bed?

LorraineHaye
18 years ago

Hello all. Northwest IL suburbs. We have individual wells and can water, BUT still must do it sparingly because if we have shallow water tables that could spell trouble. Which of these MUST be watered daily and which can go a day or two. (all were just planted this Spring) Mark you this week we are in the 90's.

Betty Prior Roses

Lavender Chiffon Hibiscus

Clematis Jackmanii

Salvia May Night

Stella de Oro Daylily

Bela Lugosi Daylily

Custard Candy Daylily

Forty Second Street Daylily

Many thanks for your help.

Lorraine

Comments (8)

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

Assuming these were planted in the Spring and have been in the ground several months, I'd say none of these need daily watering. In fact, if it were me, I'd watch the Hibiscus and when it started to wilt a bit, I'd water everything at that time.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I agree w/Daisy about watering daily..especially the roses..If you feel it's a must, do so in early morning so the soil has time to dry before night.. Roses can rot if kept wet at night, especially if night temps drop..
    But you're a good gardener for caring for your plants..the problem is, most plants, especially houseplants, die from overwatering,,..it's the number 1 killer..Toni

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

Best watering practice for any plant, other than annuals, is to water them deeply (1" of water or so) once per week. By watering your plants daily, you encourage the roots to stay at the soil surface so when they are denied water, they will suffer immediately. With deep, less frequent waterings, you encourage the roots to go deeper in the soil to get the water, the roots become better established and are healthier becuase they are insulated from the surface heat. If you can't tell when you've watered enough, put a couple of soup cans or something out under the sprinklers and when they have an inch or so of water in them, they you've watered enough.

• LorraineHaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's guys for your info. I am giving them a break and watering less, not starving them though. Many thanks. You took lots of stress off me. With the 7 and 2 yr old (really the 2 yr old is the problem) sometimes I can't go water when I want and then I get busy and stress out trying to water everyday.

Thanks again ALL!

Lorraine

• tinamcg
    18 years ago

I wouldn't water any of those daily. The biggest water hogs I have are some 1-year old Hydrangea macrophyllas, and they don't even get watered every day.

• LorraineHaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tina thanks. I am going to water this evening since it is a little more bareable for me to do it (temps are cooler today). The weekend will heat up again.

I appreciate your reply.

Lorraine

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

I can recommend snapdragons as annuals that don't need watering daily either. They are beautiful workhorses, and cause you practically no trouble.

• tinamcg
    18 years ago

I've been horrified to discover that our soil is so dry that it's repelling the water I put down. I'll water deeply (or so I think) and then inspect the soil at the root zone. It's bone dry. It's simple science: the forces of cohesion and adhesion. Water attracts water (cohesion), so moist soil holds onto the water you put down better than dried soil. This is why drip systems work so much better. The water isn't propelled by gravity past the root systems and has more time to bond to the soil. I hope that makes sense.
    A master gardener friend suggested I put a few tablespoons of dish soap in a hose end sprayer and water that way. The soap acts as a surfactant that helps the water cling to the soil aggregates. This makes perfect sense, and I am definitely going to do it. I took a soil science class last spring and did really well, and I'm thunking myself on the head for recognizing my watering problem so late in the season!