Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motria_gw

What's blooming this week.. in the blazing heat?

motria
18 years ago

We haven't seen this item lately.. maybe because it's too depressing with the Illinois drought. So what do you have blooming this week?

The following are hanging on in my garden: astrantia, balloonflower, geranium 'rozanne', 2 kinds of coreopsis, butterflyweed, purple coneflower, sidalcea, knautia, sneezeweed, speedwell, and cupid's dart. My neighborhood is awash in black eyed susans, too.

I'm a bit worried about my expected late season bloomers. Asters look okay so far, but toadlily and angelica don't look so great. My lone surviving dahlia hasn't bloomed yet, either.

So what's going on by you?

Comments (19)

• klimkm
    18 years ago

The daylily "cherry cheeks" is still going. It has quite a long season. I love that daylily. Also "rocket city" and frans hals are blooming.

The black eyed susans, and the tickseed coreopsis "baby sun". Butterfly bushes. Some roses - but I cut off the blooms and bring them inside in the AM otherwise they get devoured by japanese beetles. The bucks are doing very well and the Austins roses are starting to flush again.

I also have dianthus (pinks) bought from Walmart that have not stopped.
    Also the groundcover sedum (kanschiatum - sp?) is blooming. Also catmint.

Ratty: some daylilies, some roses leaves (this year my apothecary rose is mildew city) look pretty nasty too.

• tinamcg
    18 years ago

Well, my Phlox paniculata 'David' doesn't seem to mind this weather. At least I'm not battling powdery mildew this year.
    {{gwi:1052397}}

• sushi_deluxe
    18 years ago

My rose of sharons (white with a red center) are going very strong. My Annabelle hydrangeas are blooming. My burgandy daylilies are still blooming. My blueberries are fruiting. In the front, my spirea neon flash are coming into their second bloom after I deadheaded religiously. There's yellow hibiscus up there that's blooming, too. Also, my fountain grasses have gotten their pretty tails. And my impatiens are small but blooming.

Rachel

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Thankfully the oppressive heat has subsided! Now if the Japanese Beetles would disappear gardening would be fun again :) Blooming here, in no particular order-
    Salvia Blue Bedder
    Verbena bonariensis
    Verbena Homestead Purple
    Clematis Polish Spirit
    Delosperma cooperi
    Perovskia
    Knockout Roses
    Gaura Whirling Butterflies
    Nepeta Walkers Low
    Geranium Rozanne
    Salvia Purple Rain
    Salvia nemorosa
    Crocosmia George Davidson
    Asclepias tuberosa
    Helenium Mardi Gras
    Phlox Purple Flame (David was blooming but something broke the stems)
    Agastache Blue Fortune
    Agastache rupestris
    Coreopsis Moonbeam
    Coreopsis Creme Brulee
    Aster Monch
    Echinacea White Swan & Magnus
    Sanguisorba
    Buddleia Nanho Purple & Royal Red
    Rudbeckia Herbstsonne
    Eupatorium Gateway
    Platycodon Sentimental Blue
    Molinia Skyracer
    Pennisetum Karley Rose
    Miscanthus Malepartus
    Schizachyrium The Blues
    Various annuals

Quite a bit yet to bloom, my favorite gardening season is about to start!

• Irene_IN
    18 years ago

Tall Garden Phlox
    Coreopsis moonbeam
    purple coneflower
    Monarda
    Butterfly bushes
    Rose of Sharon bushes
    Crape Myrtle
    Salvia
    Wave petunias (still going strong)
    Day Lilies (Orange)
    Impatiens

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

This is really a bad year..the only thing blooming in my yard are 2 hardy hibiscus, 2 rose of Sharon, and a white butterfly bush..A few Petunias are still hanging on.
    I'm happy I take out houseplants, cause more are blooming than perrenials/annuals..Toni

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Butterfly bush, dwarf variety - Nanho purple
    Purple Coneflowers
    Helenium
    Monarda, Jacob Cline
    Oriental Lilies
    Roses - John Davis (great rebloom), William Baffin (a few blooms)and Ramblin' Red (great rebloom). All are hardy climbers.
    Asters - just starting
    Daylilies - I only have a few varieties, but Stella O'Doro is blooming nicely.
    Dianthus - Firewitch has great rebloom.
    Laminum - I have the one with light colored leaves & pink flowers. Very pretty.
    Rose of Sharon - Double pink and magenta varieties.
    Euphorbia Corollata - Has tons of pretty small white flowers.
    Joe Pye Weed - Gateway variety.
    Scabiosa - Yellow variety.
    Phlox - David, Bright Eyes, Nicky, Volcano, Vincent, Jeana,
    Orange Perfection, Laura, and a few unnamed pink ones from my Mom's garden. Love this plant!
    Rudbeckia triloba, Goldstrum and Herbesomme (forgive misspelling on this one)
    Agastache, Blue Fortune. First year, done really well.
    Geranium, Roxanne. Pretty.
    Knautia macedonica - Red scabiosa.
    Nepeta, Pool Bank.
    Clematis, Madame Julia Correvon. Sweet Autumn Clematis will be blooming in a few weeks.
    Russian Sage. Great plant!
    Annabelle hydrangea. Survived being moved 3 times!
    Shasta daisy, Alaska.
    Loosestrife (purple) non-invasive variety.
    Salvia, May Night. Good rebloom if pruned after first flush.
    Rose campion, magenta variety.
    Lambs ear. I know it spreads, but I use it as an edger and I keep the flowers.
    Liatris. Butterflies loves this plant!
    Yarrow - Moonshine. Bought this at Lowes for $1.50!

• motria
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone! Note to self - wintersow scabiosa and agastache in 2006.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

I forgot to add obedient plant. This plant can survive anything!

• jasonkay
    18 years ago

Right now we've got:

Rudbeckia triloba and goldsturm
    Purple coneflower
    white wood aster (just starting)
    big leaf aster (just starting)
    daylilly Chicago Apache (first year, doing amazingly well)
    Boltonia nana
    Agastache foeniculum (spell?)
    Cardinal flower
    Great blue lobelia
    Helianthus strumosus
    delphinium exaltatum
    a final few sad hollyhock flowers (this has been a terrible year for them: rust, japanese beetles, other bugs,etc.)
    Also final gasps from geranium johnson's blue, peach leaf bellflower, yarrow paprika.

I've had to do a lot of watering this year.

• auntpeach
    18 years ago

Here in Elgin, IL, we finally had a good rainfall today. Hardly knew what to do after work tonight. So just walked around and looked at the various planted areas, and enjoyed leaving the hoses alone. In bloom in the front rose garden are Knockout, Rugosa Rubra and Snow Pavement. (can't guarantee spelling today!) Then there's the triangle garden in between the driveway loop, and blooming there is Joe Pye weed, Endless Summer Hydrangea, Phlox Nicky and Bright Eyes, Yarrow and a variegated lacecap hydrangea is starting to show some bloom. Alongside the driveway are several Angel's Blush Hydrangeas, they're white now but will change to a pinkish then a rusty color later. The hostas (unknown variety) are starting to send up their blue flowers. More Endless Summer Hydrangeas in various garden beds as well as Nikko Blue. Those babies have been getting water EVERY DAY and are thriving. Most of the phloxes are in bloom, can't remember all the names. Miss Lingard still has a few white flowers here and there. The rugosa roses in my back garden are doing OK -- been picking off Jap. beetles with a large pair of tweezers (all you have to do is catch a leg) and send them to their death into a jar of dish soap and veg oil. Then I leave it out as a message to their cousins -- beware!! Rudbeckia Goldsturm is in bloom, so is the Carefree Beauty rose. The Inula Sonnenspear, a strange, corn-plant type perennial, is not only in bloom, it's having babies everywhere. The flowers look like daisies, growing along a tall stalk. The ligularias are all blooming, both the rocket and the other one with the purple leaf underside. The Hall's honeysuckle has some flowers and it smells so good! The oakleaf hydrangeas are doing nicely, with big panicles of flowers getting fuller and fuller. The Annabelle hydrangeas are also doing well, their white mopheads drooping just a little from their own weight. That's all for now. Greetings from Elgin. Aunt Peach

• robieusa
    18 years ago

While many things are blooming for me, the number of blooms is few.

Madame Carriere rose
    Phlox
    Carpet roses
    Arizona rose
    Butterfly bushes
    butterfly weed
    Bee balm

Delphinium look like they're going to rebloom in the next week or so.

• sandif
    18 years ago

Butterfly bush
    Butterfly weed
    Butterfly flower (DWL!)
    Phlox
    Hardy Hibiscuses and Tropical Hibiscuses
    Cannas
    Purple and White Coneflower
    Torch Lily (Flame flower)
    Hollyhock
    Yarrows
    Toad Lilies
    Mexican Daisies
    Fan flower
    Whole assortment of Coreopsis
    Zinnias
    Dragon wing Begonias
    Angelhair Begonias
    Calibrachoa
    Hyacinth beans
    Moonflower and Morning glories
    Verbena
    Fan flower
    A whole assortment of plants that I either cannot remember the name, or just do not know the names!

• applefan
    18 years ago

In my unwatered perennial garden, I was amazed to see how well the purple coneflower did!

I grow annuals in pots on the patio and water them daily. Of course most things do OK...but I've noticed that the Sweet Alyssum seems to LOVE the heat, doing much better than it ever has for me....
    Jean

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Wouldn't you love these in your garden? These are not mine.... Sigh....but I truly wish. Maybe I'll pick a few to plant next year. Have to figure out where. :-P

• rowdy
    18 years ago

Some of my mums started to bloom this week.

• motria
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pitim - If I hear of any plant theft at Millenium Park, I'm going to turn you over to the police! Hee hee.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

motria, :-D I picked up a broken branch of Eryngium off the ground the other day and asked one of the guards if I could have it, she said no and that my picking up the branch must have been recorded on the cameras anyway! Oowwey. Talking about caught in the act. :-P

They are probably watching me like a hawk now, since I walk through the park almost every morning :-) and spend at least an hour several times taking picures.

• motria
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pitim - Oh, no! It's worse than I thought! LOL. Well, since the authorities already know you, I suppose there's no need for me to phone in a tip to the police. ;-)