Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robieusa

Despite the Drought...

robieusa
18 years ago

This is the first full year for my garden. I've been babying the plants -- hours spent moving the soaker hose.

Though the plants are puny, at least they're living.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2005 So Far

Comments (12)

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Robert, your garden is beautiful! Love the pond, path, arbor, everything. Thanks for sharing!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Rob, your garden is indeed beautiful..Wow, I'm impressed..wish I could say the same for my garden this summer, it's awful..Toni

• Chitown33
    18 years ago

I love your yard. I love the variety of plants, the tropicals are great. Are you going to heat the pond over winter? It's not hard to do with a small heat pad. You must be forking a ton of water into that yard this summer, but I'd say it's worth it for a yard like that.

Kyle

• terryr
    18 years ago

That's the first year? And then you say "puny"!? OMG...if I only knew how to post pictures...lol...I'd show you puny! It's absolutely enchanting! Did you do it all? Brick, pond, everything?? You must enjoy sitting out there, regardless of the heat!

• robieusa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I think the photographs make everything look better than in real life.

We did do all the landscaping ourselves. The neighborhood I moved to is rapidly gentrifying -- meaning many old houses are being torn down. The bricks and pavers were carried from demolition sites one small load at a time in the trunk of a teeny Nissan. It was hard on my flesh & the car. Quite a few of the plants were also pulled from sites marked for tear down.

I like to think that the garden carries on the memory of those old houses. Many of which the same families lived in since the turn of the century.

Here' are a couple photos from before the garden work began.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before

• smom40
    18 years ago

Your garden is amazing and gorgeous!

• grandblvd03
    18 years ago

I didn't realize it was a front yard garden! Really nice --great job, drought or not!

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Absolutely wonderful! How long did it take you to do it.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

After looking at before and after pics, you must have spent months working on your garden, and did a fantastic job.
    Well, today we're getting a lot of rain so everything will be watered, thoroughly..Toni

• artemis_pa
    18 years ago

LOVE it! You have all my faves....roses, lilies, lilacs, butterfly bushes, dogwood, clematis...and more. You have given me some ideas for my garden. I'm in the midst of creating a small shady garden under a couple big trees. Thanks.

• robieusa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

artemis_MO:

I'd be interested in hearing what you'll choose for the shade garden. My yard is full sun, mostly, and I plan to put in a large tree for shade next year. I've been playing with ideas for a small shady area.

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Robert, gorgeous! With a touch on sentimentality. I like that. Hosta are great in the shade.