Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Any success with blooming gingers this far north?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
18 years ago

I was going to post this on the ginger forum, but would really like to hear from any Midwest people. This is my second year with a few gingers. They grow well, but I have my doubts if any flowers are going to happen.

Has anyone bloomed these up north? Which ones seem to work best for you?

Kevin

Comments (7)

• northeastwisc
    18 years ago

I grow the Canadian Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense) and it flowers every year in Zone 4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Ginger

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kevin..another place you can locate wild ginger is www.worldplants.com The site the above poster gave looks good, but I don't want to dwell there caues I KNOW what'll happen..lol

Growing tropical gingers isn't difficult..I've a variegated that's about 3' tall..had it since 94. But the variegated are grown primarily for leaf coloring..I've also a small container of various gingers that are still young, too young for flowering.
    The thing is, in winter, they need humidity. Mine sit a few feet from south and west windows, and get some artifial lighting at night. I've a small gh and which is where my variegaed resides in winter.
    I've once posted this question on Tropical plants, and was told, because we don't get as much light as say, Fl, it'd be difficult for gingers to bloom, but I go to Garfield Pk, and Oak Pk conservatories, both of which have gingers. I do not think they receive extra lighting at night, yet gingers bloom..I think it's more of a humidity issue than light. I keep a humidifer running, and 2 indoor fountains, one adjacent to gingers. I also keep atop pebbles and water, that creates a humid atmosphere. Toni

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I love my wild ginger and those little flowers hiding underneath. Is this the ginger you are talking about. If so, it grows great in my neck of the woods.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was talking about the tropical gingers. I have tons of the wild stuff and do love those flowers.

My problem with the tropical gingers is that I can not keep them growing in the winter. I simply do not have the space. I've heard you can treat them like cannas which I have been doing. I store them dormant over winter and then start them up again in the spring. Maybe our growing season is too short and that's why I never see flowers.

Kevin

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kevin, I grow tropical gingers, but do store them in a dark place overwinter..
    The largest, a variegated type, is kept in a small gh..the others live in the house but are still young. I keep them nearest sw windows, under a shelf w/some artifial lighting at night..In spring, they go outdoors, in bright light..I withhold fertilizer in winter, then come spring they get their first dose, until Sept..they get fed w/an all purpose food, or sometimes a ginger food I get at StokesTropicals, once a month.
    Yes, you can grow gingers, but can't say about flowering..I was once told in the Tropical Forum it's almost impossible to get tropical gingers to flower because we don't get the light ppl do in Fl, etc. But I'm optimistic..lol..Don't give up..Do u know which types u have? Toni

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toni

I have:
    Zingiber zerumbet
    Hedychium coronarium
    Hedychium coronarium 'Luna Moth'
    Hedychium gardnerianum

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Aae, I'd keep in brightest light possible, and during winter, if possible, set under artificial lighting..You don't need gro lights, any bulbs will do. Toni

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County