Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doniki

Little Gem Magnolia

doniki
18 years ago

Okay, I found a beautiful Little Gem Southern Magnolia in Cincinnati this weekend, for a great price, that I couldn't pass up.... I know this is tender... but the owner said it was a very reliable performer in Southern Ohio... not as hardy as Edith Bogue, but "gardenworthy." Does anybody out there in the Midwest (zone 6) grow "Little Gem." I am seeing it sold everywhere recently in OH- from Cleveland to Cincy. I've done some research on it and nurseries in Marietta, OH and Columbus, OH both report that it is much hardier than given credit... The same nurseries said it was one of the best for OH conditions? I don't know if that is true or not... I do live in the city, so I benefit from some extra heat... I placed Little Gem facing the East against my neighbors house and a screen of Arborvitae. The area gets little winter sun from my observations over the years... Anyway, I'm willing to protect it with a microfoam and burlap structure, but just wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994