Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Gem Magnolia

Posted by doniki z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 11:17

Okay, I found a beautiful Little Gem Southern Magnolia in Cincinnati this weekend, for a great price, that I couldn't pass up.... I know this is tender... but the owner said it was a very reliable performer in Southern Ohio... not as hardy as Edith Bogue, but "gardenworthy." Does anybody out there in the Midwest (zone 6) grow "Little Gem." I am seeing it sold everywhere recently in OH- from Cleveland to Cincy. I've done some research on it and nurseries in Marietta, OH and Columbus, OH both report that it is much hardier than given credit... The same nurseries said it was one of the best for OH conditions? I don't know if that is true or not... I do live in the city, so I benefit from some extra heat... I placed Little Gem facing the East against my neighbors house and a screen of Arborvitae. The area gets little winter sun from my observations over the years... Anyway, I'm willing to protect it with a microfoam and burlap structure, but just wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Gem Magnolia

I'm not in zone 6, but I had one while living in TN. It's my understanding they need full sun. I did a search and turned up anywhere from zone 7 to 5.

o

I'm considering getting a Little Gem as well and I'm wondering how yours faired this winter. How are the leaves? Any winter scorch? I'd love to see photos of your Little Gem if you have any. Thanks!

o

• Posted by doniki z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 29, 06 at 10:24

Well, it's not looking good... almost complete winter kill, after a low of 3F one night and a few other nights between 7-10. Of the 6 ft plant I started with, probably the bottom 2ft are alive. Not nearly as hardy as Edith Bogue, around here... But may do well for you in a warmer zone 6.

o

Doniki I'm so sorry to hear that your Little Gem is having such a hard time. Hopefully it will recover.

I'm seeing the various magnolias bloom right now and I'm falling in love with them all. Since my yard is not too big I need to stick with a smaller variety rather than the ones that grow over 50 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here