Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't seem to grow grass in Kansas

Posted by gmgbfisher 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 11:35

I have been trying to grow grass in an area that has almost constant shade in the summer because of the large trees in my yard. Every fall the grass starts out great but by the end of the summer it is dead. Also during the summer we do not receive very much rain and what is received may not make it through the tree canopy. Does anyone have a suggestion for a grass that will grow in these conditions or an attractive alternative such as ivy so I don't have to go through this headache every year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't seem to grow grass in Kansas

What grasses have you tried??

You might try Zenith Zoysiagrass (Zenith only) or Tall Fescue. You will need to water during the dry seasons.

o

When my daughter moved to Wichita she found out she had clay ground, they dug up,removed and put in new dirt,planted new grass and watered alot @ first. I hope you are not on a water restriction. I would also go to a large local nursery and ask them what grows well around there. When I planted my grass here I was told to plant a mixture of grasses together. They will be helpful.

o

Doubt the problem is the soil...more likely the dense shade...

Another thought is to have your trees trimmed to allow dappled sunlight through.

o

Thank you all for the suggestions. I believe the grass I used was red fescue.

o

If you try the Zoysiagrass, keep in mind that it spreads quite quickly and will move into the sunny areas, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here