Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle vine

Posted by WIgardenerwannabe Z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 11:54

I have a honeysuckle vine (yellow/orange blossoms) that I had to transplant last year, and it has not done so well this year. It is very woody at the bottom with most of the leaves at the top. Flowering was weak. I am really thinking that I should give it a hard prune to see if I can't rejuvinate it. How far back do you cut it and when?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle vine

First, make sure it's in the right site for the plant; correct sun, etc. It's possible it isn't doing well because it isn't getting enough light or some other environmental factor. It also may be that it just isn't well established in its new place yet. If you're going to cut it back hard, late winter or early spring is a good time. I've included a couple of links that probably tell you more than you want to know but there's some good, basic pruning information. Good luck!

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-459/430-459.html

http://www.mortonarb.org/plantinfo/plantclinic/hortcare_pruningshrubs.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here