Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this sunflower-type flower?

Posted by daylily77 MI/5b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 12:53

Hi everyone! I know this is a horrible pic, but these aren't my plants so I kind of hurried to get this pic so no one would see me and think I was nuts.. LOL! Anyways, they're very tall like sunflowers, I'd say about 6 ft tall or more. But the flowers are small (about the size of a Shasta Daisy). Can anyone identify this? I hope so because I don't want to have to take another pic if at all possible. LOL!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this sunflower-type flower?

It may be some form of heliopsis or jerusalem artichoke.
Jen

o

Looks like Helianthus, 'Lemon Queen'. I have these in my yard:

o

They look like jerusalem artichokes to me too, I have them in my yard though they haven't started to bloom yet, but I have loads of buds. My plants are about 8 to 10 feet tall.

Stevi

o

I don't think the centers of my Jerusalem Artichokes are that large. Maybe it's just a birdseed volunteer. Did you feed birds last winter?
You will know if it's Jerusalem Artichoke if the roots look sort of like tubers when you pull it up and if it comes back next year even though you think you yanked it all out. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here