Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joandaugh

Vines for a pergola

joandaugh
18 years ago

With any luck, I will soon have a small pergola in my back yard (8' tall x 6' deep x 14' wide). Since we are currently trying to get rid of hundreds of little trumpet vines that keep springing up, I know better than to grow those on it. Does anyone have suggestions for the "perfect" vine to cover the pergola but not take it over, that looks beautiful but doesn't attract so many bees that humans can't sit under it? Is there such a thing? I am not so bee-phobic since I started gardening but one of my kids is very much so.

I have no experience with clematis but wonder if one of them (or a few) would be good--also wonder about grapes?? I personally love roses but I know they can become so dense . . .

Thanks for your suggestions--pictures would be great too!

Comments (14)

• joandaugh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas & links. The Jackmanii is gorgeous--it's now high up on my list--thinking about combinations. I didn't realize that Virginia Creeper wasn't an ivy. I love how it turns red.

I started some morning glory seeds for the first time this spring and it's amazing because through a "gardening accident" (most of my starts got dumped over) I had only one plant come through. It has managed to fill in an empty corner of my yard on a trellis. All from one little vine. So I might use those next spring to reach the top of the pergola while the perennials are still working at it.

I love planning plantings . . .

• psnave
    18 years ago

Sounds like a lovely project; DH promised me one and I'm still waiting! I second the clematis suggestion, no thorns and wonderful color. There is a group of clematis called "viticella" that perform fantastic in full sun, and are winter hardy. Many of them bloom all summer and are not prone to wilt, a common problem with clematis. There are pics at chalkhill nusery and brushwood nursery. You can goto clematis.com and do a search for viticellas. Their is also a clematis forum here at GW.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Great clematis varieties to choose from include:
    Madame Julia Correvon - Small, red flowers. Very profuse bloomer.

Mrs Cholomodeney: Large, light blue flowers.

Huldine: Heavy bloomer. White flowers. Tall.

Etoile Violette: Purple flowers. Tall.

Comtesse de Bouchard: Pink flowers. Tall.

Sweet Autumn Clematis: Small, white fragrant blooms. Very strong grower. Blooms in Sept. for me. Get really BIG!

Check out: www.helpmefind.com

There's a website in there for clematis varieties.

• joandaugh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, the Chalk Hill list is extensive and the photos are great. It seems like I could pick complimentary colors and try to choose different blooming times. I wonder how many plants I would need--the top will be 8' x 14' including overhang, I believe.

I also have a split rail fence in the front of my yard that is dying for a vining flower. It looks like we're coming up on a good time to plant them and grow enough roots before that season that starts with W comes, as long as it isn't 90 degrees all fall.

• Lizzy5225
    18 years ago

Have you heard of Hops vine? It grows quickly, attracts butterflies instead of bees and has a silky blue flower.
    Just a suggestion.
    Good Lucky
    Lizzy

• joandaugh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I did mean to ask about hops and I forgot. I have seen the dried flowers before and I think they're very pretty. I wonder if anybody in Zone 5--northern Illinois has had good luck with them?

• kevin_5
    18 years ago

Joan:

Hops(Humulus lupulus) are native to Northern Illinois.

• october17
    18 years ago

Virginia Creeper can be very invasive too. Birds will drop seeds everywhere. I agree it's beautiful in the fall, but not worth it to me since, after ten years, I still have to pull a few out every year. (Somebody around here must have one.)

• grandblvd03
    18 years ago

Dutchman's Pipe is a flowerless vine with huge beautiful leaves and grows well here. I have one on an arbor.

• lbabb
    18 years ago

I have a hyacinth bean that I got last year. It gets purple kind of "spiky" flowers and then produces pods with seeds in them where the flowers were. I saved a few pods last year and planted them right in the ground in May, and I now have a beautiful vine growing up my deck. I have even had people stop and ask what it is, and if they could have some pods. You would have to plant it every year, but you would have the free seeds if you remember to save them.

• joandaugh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the posts of the pergola are in and hopefully it will be finished by the end of the month--not much time for weekend projects now but it's a start. I don't know if I'll be able to put them in the ground this fall to give them enough time before winter. But the way the weather is now, it feels like the middle of summer still and I'm having to babysit all the new plants I've put in this year, which is really getting to be a pain. Where's the rain??

I will have to investigate some of those other ideas. Someone gave me a pass to the Botanical Gardens so I'm hoping to get up there soon for more ideas too.

• ceresone
    18 years ago

silver lace vine, perhaps?

• Deborah lippitt
    6 years ago

Silver lace vines get huge and wisteria will spread where ever it wants..like all over.I have been fighting one I removed for 3 years.

I have a large Akebia Quinata that appears to have Verticillium wilt.. Any one else know if it is susceptible?I am hoping it is only thrips.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm