Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtles in South Bend IN?

Posted by claremarie (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 19:14

I'm moving from northern Virginia to South Bend IN next summer. I'm planning to bring some cuttings from my VA garden to plant in our new home, and wondering whether Crape Myrtles will grow in South Bend? Around here, they grow like weeds -- I've succesfully transplanted one volunteer, and would like to bring another -- but don't recall seeing any Crape Myrtles during visits to South Bend. We are in growing zone 7 here, if that helps. Thanks for any insights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtles in South Bend IN?

I have never heard of anyone getting one to grow in zone 5, so probably not a good chance of it happening. I have tried several times (with winter protection) and still had no luck here in central Illinois. : (
In South Bend, you will be even farther north than I am.

o

I lived in Chesterton (near Valparaiso) a couple years ago and think that you should give it a shot. I suppose that it would depend on the variety of the Crape though. I live in Bettendorf Iowa and have been successful the last two years in getting my Southern Magnolias to survive. 2 Mag. Granifloras and one brackens brown beauty. Good luck.

o

I planted 3 crepe myrtles in S.E. Michigan 4 or 5 years ago -- 'Hopi', 'Zuni', and 'Apache'. They have survived, but die back to the roots every winter even with heavy mulch. One of them ALMOST bloomed a few years ago -- the buds started to open in early October and froze. The leaves are pretty, but I've given up on flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here