Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing laveadar & tarragon

Posted by rober49 5 stl mo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 20:23

2 plants i have a hard time growing are lavendar & tarragon. i'm in the st louis mo area & believe that i'm in zone 5. anyone have any suggestion on varieties & how to cultivate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing laveadar & tarragon

Tarragon got to be invasive and I had to dig it out (twice). That was one of those dig and hole and plop it in. Nothing fancy! No feeding, no amending. It was between sage and chives and overran both of them. As it turned out we didn't use that much tarragon anyway. Don't know why you might have a problem.

Lavender had been planted in two spots. One was with the chives, tarragon, sage and mint (don't ever plant mint, smells good but goes everywhere). That did ok. Other lavender was next to the house and ended up not getting enough sun due to the growing apple tree.

All got moved this spring to one newly cultivated spot and they are doing great.

Are your plants getting at least 6 hours of sun? More is better, like 7 am - 7 pm.

We are in east central Illinois.

Jim

o
RE: growing laveadar & tarragon

Lavender does well in St Louis. Needs fully blazing south sun all day to be at its best. Do not plant in a wet area; needs to be dryish in winter.

To look its best, cut it back to about 6" each spring. It will have a gorgeous shape and lots of flowers on all that new growth.

For varieties, check out High Country Gardens. The one I have is 'Royal Velvet' from HCG.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here