Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dogs pooping in yard -- real evidence on folk remedies, please?

Posted by kayd_gardner (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 21:27

I've found a good many forums on the internet and this site about neighborhood dogs pooping in yards... lots of stories about bad neighbors, etc. ... all valid complaints to be sure, we're at wits end as well. However I'm looking for actual anectodal evidence about what "folk remedies" actually WORK to keep the dog out? i.e. people suggest pepper spray, granules from petsmart, peeing on the yard themselves, etc. ... does any of this stuff work or is it all a "wives tale"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dogs pooping in yard -- real evidence on folk remedies, plea

• Posted by motria z6 Chicago (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 14:27

When I walk my dog around the neighborhood, she poops whenever nature calls. I can't imagine any deterrent that would stop her once she gets into squat position. A little poop, promptly picked up and thrown in the trash, doesn't hurt anything.

My suggestion to you would be to post a friendly reminder to your neighbors to pick up after their dogs. Maybe tacking up a few plastic bags.. or even providing a little trash bin would help. Conscientious dog-walkers don't leave the house without a couple plastic bags in their pocket.. but maybe folks in your area need a gentle reminder.

o
RE: dogs pooping in yard -- real evidence on folk remedies, plea

Motria,
Great advise I couldn't agree with you more. Although I will say it is likely kaydgardener is doing research for a book as this thread is posted by she/he on every GW regional forum and she/he just became a member a few days ago. In my humble opinion I think it would have been courteous if kaydgardener revealed her/his intentions. kt..from New England

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here