Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarasta

Need instant color, not much $$ to spend...

hostarasta
18 years ago

I know no one's reading this because everyone's out there gardening!

My house is up for sale and I need to add some fallish elegant plantings to a new garden. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to spend. What besides mums can I plant? Anything else I can plant now for instant color?

I don't want to say I'm desperate, but I am.

Thanks for listening.

Marlene in Michigan

Comments (3)

• Carol_Ann
    18 years ago

I don't know what's available in your area now, but check the local box stores with garden centers, and check out local nurseries/garden centers for end-of-summer sales. Some places carry pansies for fall color, and there may be some annuals still around that will take light frost (snaps come to mind) to give you a longer bloom season. None of that sounds too elegant but it would give some color... and many people find pansies very cheerful and welcoming. Most of the perennials that will be blooming now will add some color for awhile -- look for asters, for example -- won't be as cheap as annuals, however. Keep in mind that annuals aren't going to *grow* a lot at this time of year so you'll have to plant either larger size plants or plant them close together.

If you're going for elegant, you might consider a few nicely placed ornamental grasses (some of them have lovely fall color) -- would add a nice touch, very graceful and simple. Maybe some rudbeckia or a similar looking flower for a nice complement with the grasses. I'd keep it simple and with a minimum of colors if you're going for elegant and classic.

You probably already know this but consider just really cleaning up your yard and garden (make sure there's no weeds, edge beds, etc.), putting down some new mulch, and having a nice big pot or two of something pretty blooming by the front door. That might be a better use of limited funds -- drive-by appeal is important but a clean, well-kept yard and a nice warm touch by the door will go just as far as a bed of flowers that look recently planted. Most people are aware that realtors suggest lots of pretty flowers in the yard, etc. and will be looking beyond that for a house that looks like it was well-kept and loved. A gardener will recognize that you were just getting started on your new garden and will welcome the chance to take it in their own direction.

You might also try asking on the landscape design forum -- those folks might have a few design touches that will make a big difference in a new bed.

Good luck!

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I just bought 2 pots of zinnias that are just beautiful-they were $4 a pot. I also have stuck a couple of my houseplants outside-not colorful but they sure look nice in my flower beds.

• psnave
    18 years ago

I would check your local garden center and look at their hanging baskets. We have a store here that does gorgeous pots full of great combos of lush blooming plants -- $40 in Spring and much, much cheaper now. You can hange these up or just bury the whole pot if you want it in the ground (cut off the handles). I've buried hanging baskets and they look great...the plants are compatible, colors coordinated, etc. You could also use it as a pot within a pot (cut off handles and place the hanging basket pot inside a decorative container).

I think spending $40-50 on mixed hanging baskets would give you a lot of return.

Good luck!