Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to beat the frost when it comes to Hardy mums?

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 8:29

This is my first year gardening and I really have no experience with mums. I purchased a flat of 18 back in early June. They had been forced to bloom so we could see what colors they were. I was told by the florist to cut back the mums in mid June so they will bloom again in the fall. Well here it is almost October in Michigan. Some of my mums are in full bloom. The others have several buds on them and are wanting to open but just havent yet. All plants are massive and healthy. We are expected to get frost on Monday in my area. I'm assuming once it frosts the plants will go dormant. My question is...

At what time of year should I cut and pinch back my mums next year so that they will be in bloom by August?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to beat the frost when it comes to Hardy mums?

hi! my folks raised mums for years for sale at local festivals and to local markets. Mom says- and I've done it with mine for years- after they are done blooming in the fall ( or they freeze out) DONT cut them down. The old stems protect and insulate the roots. Instead, mulch them a little with fallen leaves or pull up some of the mulch you might have in the bed around them. If they arent in too wet a spot, they probably will come back. In the spring,clean up the old stems. You should see tiny little frosty green mums peeking out at the bases of the old stems. To channel their growth into bigger plants and more, though smaller, blooms you can pinch the growing ends out on May1, June1, and July1...thats an easy way to remember. Two pinchings work well, too...say may1 and the last week of june.

o
RE: How to beat the frost when it comes to Hardy mums?

Mums are genetically triggered to bloom at different times in the fall. As long as you don't pinch them too late (past July 1), they will bloom when they are ready. If yours bloom too late, then select for earlier blooming varieties. Cultivars are often listed as blooming in (1) early fall,(2) mid-fall, or (3)late fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here